bestest 40cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Problem solved. Scored a very good condition MS250 today for $100, powerhead and chain. Bar was thrashed so I had to get a new one, so I got 130 into it. Have not cut anything other than a piece of slabwood with it. Seems to run very good, but I'm not sure the oiler is working right... I can't get it to throw off the end of the chain.

Use Stihl's barchain oil for those stingy oilers.
There's a topic here about that. Maybe someone can list it.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Problem solved. Scored a very good condition MS250 today for $100, powerhead and chain. Bar was thrashed so I had to get a new one, so I got 130 into it. Have not cut anything other than a piece of slabwood with it. Seems to run very good, but I'm not sure the oiler is working right... I can't get it to throw off the end of the chain.

Well, I am not a fan of that saw, but it mostly does what it is designed for, when it works.
Hopefully, it isn't a 250C.

tallguys

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
So you have had one or have extensive run time on one and it's junk?

Don't worry, he hasn't. Just doesn't like anything not pro level and mostly not Stihl. The 250 is a good little saw but for the plastic crankcase. Lots of satisfied end users cutting enough wood with it and especially for what you paid for it, I'd say that was a pretty good score.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
So you have had one or have extensive run time on one and it's junk?

I know 3 guys that have them (MS250c), and have used and worked on two of those saws. The impression of cheap plastic is overwhelming, and they are unconvenient to work on, even though it was mostly about maitenance and simple stuff. AV and air filtration are POS, and the QCA really annoying. The only good I have to say about them is that they are light and have OK power for what they are.

thechknhwk

thechknhwk

ArboristSite Operative
Don't worry, he hasn't. Just doesn't like anything not pro level and mostly not Stihl. The 250 is a good little saw but for the plastic crankcase. Lots of satisfied end users cutting enough wood with it and especially for what you paid for it, I'd say that was a pretty good score.

That was tongue in cheek. I may have read some previous unsolicited criticisms:jester:

cheeves
44 Husqvarna

let's start with "price is no object"

OP: " what is the lightest, most powerful, best handling (40cc or so) saw out there"

durability figures in pretty big, also.
Try to find a used 44 Husky on ebay. I've seen them on there for cheap $. And there are guys on here that know about them. Parts? from Chainsawr.com. Good luck friend! Bob

holeycow

holeycow

Dirt, Air, Water, Sun; Seeds.
. AS Supporting Member.
Try to find a used 44 Husky on ebay. I've seen them on there for cheap $. And there are guys on here that know about them. Parts? from Chainsawr.com. Good luck friend! Bob

Well Bob, about 10 minutes ago I just made a deal on a new PS 420. It will be shipped later today, and I'll see it in about a week. :msp_biggrin::clap: I couldn't help myself...

It's coming from far away.

There were no 420's in stock in all of western Canada, as far as I could tell.

Have a great day Bob. Hey, your day is half over! And mine has just begun, LOL.

Kevin

Sagetown

Sagetown

Farmer and a STIHL
Well Bob, about 10 minutes ago I just made a deal on a new PS 420. It will be shipped later today, and I'll see it in about a week. :msp_biggrin::clap: I couldn't help myself...

It's coming from far away.

There were no 420's in stock in all of western Canada, as far as I could tell.

Have a great day Bob. Hey, your day is half over! And mine has just begun, LOL.

Kevin

Great Day in the morning, Kevin! :) I'm happy for ya. Looking forward for your thoughts on it too. :D

holeycow

holeycow

. AS Supporting Member.
I'll probably be working away when it shows up, so I hope to cut something with it at Christmas.

Meanwhile, I have downloaded an owner's manual and a parts manual. Now I'm looking for the shop manual.....

Apparently this one is coming with a box and everything...a promotional kit that was available at one time?

holeycow

holeycow

. AS Supporting Member.
Well...my job got delayed, so I was able to pick up my new Dolmar PS 420 yesterday afternoon.

The Dolmar case is better than the Stihl case. It has hinges (plastic ones) at least, and just feels sturdier overall than the Stihl case that will surely, eventually break in half at the plastic strip "hinge".

Good lookin' little saw! I weighed it dry as delivered with the 16" bar & chain - 12lb, 4oz. My Johnny 590 weighs just under 13lbs, dry. They feel about the same when "hefting". If 12 or 13lbs is indeed a "heft".

This saw is obviously a high quality tool.

I've had my eye on a 12" poplar leaner across a trail where we will need to travel to feed the cows. So I took the new red & black saw there. After some minor fumbling, it started and I warmed it up a bit. Then I proceeded to buck the leaner down.

At the "hefting stage", it felt like the handles were a hair too close together for my liking. While running the saw, it felt really nice, ergonomically speaking. The motor is a little boggy as delivered. I'll play with tuning later.

This little saw seems like it has good power to me. Kind-of a torquey little thing, actually. I like this kind of power, as I am not a great saw hand and tend to hit the wood with poor timing occasionally, so a high strung small engine doesn't work as well for me. As someone stated earlier here, it is pretty easy to pinch the chain to a stop on this size saw. I will have to learn to read the wood better, is all.

It runs pretty smooth, vibration-wise, but still not in the same league as the MS362, which is remarkably smooth. It's about the same as the old Johnny, or maybe a hair smoother.

I'm going to like this saw as my general chore saw, for sure. I'll be comparing it to my old 590 for the same purpose.

I'll probably change out the spur drive for a rim drive, eventually. I like the screen air filter system. I'll be keeping it. I might wrap a lightly oiled nylon over it too, or not.

The best thing I've discovered so far is that this 420 starts ridiculously easily. I mean ridiculously. Just like that video that's on here somewhere.

I hope I don't have the coil or fuel line issue that's floating around on another thread here......

PS, the oiler sure doesn't throw much oil, even with winter chain oil. Is this how all new saws are?

:smile2:

Last edited:
holeycow

holeycow

. AS Supporting Member.
I will be doing that, for sure. It'll be a while before I get into serious cleanup around here. In the spring I'll have a look at that muffler. There's a little cap over the HS adjustment screw hole. Does that just pry out from the outside, or do you have to work it from the inside?

Damie236

Damie236

ArboristSite Member
ECHO CS-400: good power, very reliable, starts in two pulls at most, and has a highly manageable weight. oh and I almost forgot the price and build quality cannot be beat.
So justify paying more for less?

Last edited:

Latest posts