Best aerial lift ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Peters

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site & new to the tree care business. I've found a lot of useful information here! It really sounds like you guys know what you're talking about! I am 39 years old & just figured out what I love doing.:rolleyes: better late than never I guess. I'm a tool & die maker by trade while doing tree care on the side, looking to do tree care full time in the near future. I'm looking for a bucket truck with chip dump. Which is the best aerial lift out there, High Ranger, Altec, Aerial Lift of Conn., Teco's , Lift All.etc...:confused: As much information as I can get on this subject would be very helpful.:)
Thanks.

Hey
I'm 39 also and you just can't get there as fast anymore! So if you are not climbing at least 3-4 times a week you need to go tall on your bucket! If you are buying new go with the Altec E70. 75ft of working height but it is big bucks so you better work it everyday. If you are going used just make sure it goes over center!
Keep climbing were not that old yet!
John

Welcome to site. Personally I prefer Hi-ranger lift. Probably the priciest of those listed but I have used most and felt most stable in hi ranger. Seemed to me to be the fastest of those listed also.
Just my opinion.

Are company has ran several differant lifts, a couple of years ago we bought an aerial lift of ct. We bought an aerial lift because we felt that it was the best built unit on the market. One example of this is that the altec booms have about six grease fittings on them, while the aerial lift has about twenty. While this is great for fleet use, we run our unit and are happy to maintain it so it will last for years, after the altec was worn out. Another major factor that made us go with the aerial lift is that the people who are building the unit are the ones selling it to you. Every unit is custom built not mass produced, the people who built your unit, will be the ones who also do the units yearly inspection. We purchased a sixty two foot remount from them and can't be happier with it. The side reach is awesome with 53ft of side reach and being able to go over center. Another tree service in the area also run an Aerial lift, theirs is 18 years old and hasn't needed any major work.

The Aerial Lift of CT are VERY good units. Altecs? so-so.

Haven't worked from a hi-ranger, so I can't comment there.

FWIW, I have a 34 year old Skyworker in the yard that STILL works hard every day, and always passes inpection.

I'm glad to hear these comments on the Aerial Lift of Conn.

If I was to buy a knuckle boom, they would be high on my list, but I am just basing my comments only from the ads and window shopping.

I did run into a utility crew once that spoke very highly of the unit, reliable, well built boom that had many hours left on it compared to other brands, when their number came up to be sold off to the auction crowd.

I think A.L. of Conn. also has one of those elavator units. If I remember right they originated that design, when it first came out it wasn't popular at the time.

I'm kinda of the odd man out on these boom discussions because I use an Elliott boom, they are not as popular as the knuckles. It would be nice to have both styles.

I can pass this along, a friend of mine has a Reach - All that I have rented when I get in a pinch, it does not go over center on the lower boom and I find this to be a very limiting when it comes to manuvering and positioning. An over center unit would be a definate plus for doing tree work.

Larry

Last edited:
The new high rangers XT 55 we have at work are slow compared to the altecs LR IV. Never used Aerial lift of Conn. Seen them they have more cables then altec or high rangers. Dont know how often you have to change them.

aerial lift of conn can take a beating and just keep going, but i do like the altec hydraulic controls better - more ergonomic for one hand operation.

This is about the same as a "which truck is better" discussion. All makes and models have their flaws. Ultimately you need to purchase a unit that has a good reputation and good support in you location.

Try to stick with the big names: Versalift, Terex, Altec, Lift All. I myself like the Altec units just due to the design and configuration.

Actually right now Lift All makes the fastest lift designed for your type of work.

Stay away from the obslete, older makes. While you can get them cheap it doesn't save you sqaut when the thing breaks and you have to spend days finding parts for the thing.

Find a unit with the configuration, working height and articulation you need and you'll do ok. Save yourself some headaches and make sure to have an OSHA/ANSI inspection and dielectric test done prior to purchase.

Hey Motor,

How do you feel about http://www.mat-3.com/

A telescoping upper boom make it real nice design in terms of working the tree. Ever worked on one of them?

Nope, can't say that I have. So I've never seen one up close. They definitely have Hi-Ranger styling from what I've seen in there adds. If they do what I think they do, engineering of HR parts, then they're probably good units.

One of the drawbacks I'd be worried about is the extension system. That adds a lot of extra parts in there that if they failed could lead to some big $$ in repair. Your adding another cylinder, extra hoses, extra valve bank, cat-track for hoses and wear pads. One thing I see a lot of when telescopic devices are used in the tree work industry is that debris can sometimes enter the boom and get so packed in there that causes some major damage. I don't know how these units are setup so I can't say if this could happen here, just food for thought.

In my opinion I'd stick with straight articulated, simple, durable, and easy to maintain. But that's just my opinion it may work great for certain people.

I have an older AL of C and love it. I had it inspected a few years ago and the rods replaced at the same time. It is an 1985 model on a 1998 truck that is low miles and low hours. The inspectors from AL of C told me to keep it greased and use it with common sence and it would outlast the truck. I have used the High Ranger xt (the one with the square boom but it was 12 years ago, it was a good bucket also but I have to admit the one I could run the best and get the most out of was an Asplundh bucket. They are all good units now but as mentioned some newer scoping stuff would probly be the bomb. Good luck.

Aerial Lift & High ranger are the top 2!! altec is ok but had some rear boom pin wear problems after only a year of working the unit!

these are the top 3 for the industry....Lift All.. does make a nice lift & in my opinion is underrated.

LXT.............

Stay away from the obslete, older makes. While you can get them cheap it doesn't save you sqaut when the thing breaks and you have to spend days finding parts for the thing.

Yeah. Like Teco. What a chunk of junk.

the company I work for just bought 2 sixty foot hi-rangers and we love them. I was running an old asplundh LR50 ( 79 boom on a 87 truck) that didn`t have an over center lower boom. It was slower and not near as pretty to look at , but still very reliable. The only problem I see with the hi-ranger is the width from boom to edge of basket. it`s a little harder to snake around on a trim job. That and I can`t stand that beeper when moving the out-riggers.

I have an altec and I really like it (65' wh).

If I was going to buy another lift...I would look the MAT-3 (or something like that) over real good. It is a really nice set up and I wish I would have run one around the block before I spent 100G on an altec.

Having worked out of most including the baslewood early asplundh made booms
I own a high ranger old has its quirks but gets the job done, if I could have my
pick of booms it would most likely be an elliot.

Latest posts

Back