Non Conductive Oil Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchovsStihl63

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Good morning everyone, I had a line blow out on my bucket lift Friday and I have lost probably around 5 gallons of oil I am estimating. I noticed the orange non-conductive line which lead me to learning about non conductive oil. Is there a way to tell if the system has non conductive oil already? My thoughts are that it is so old that some one somewhere has just dumped plain ole AW32 in it, and maybe that is fine if AW32 is non conductive?

The oil looks kinda nasty to me, almost like it has some moisture in it so I may end up changing it out anyway, I just was curious about the non conductive oil thing.

It is an old 1990 Versa Lift 36ft boom on a 1991 GMC Top Kick. Currently all it is used for is tree maintenance around my property, cleaning my chimney and working on my old two story house if that makes a difference in anything.

Good morning everyone, I had a line blow out on my bucket lift Friday and I have lost probably around 5 gallons of oil I am estimating. I noticed the orange non-conductive line which lead me to learning about non conductive oil. Is there a way to tell if the system has non conductive oil already? My thoughts are that it is so old that some one somewhere has just dumped plain ole AW32 in it, and maybe that is fine if AW32 is non conductive?

The oil looks kinda nasty to me, almost like it has some moisture in it so I may end up changing it out anyway, I just was curious about the non conductive oil thing.

It is an old 1990 Versa Lift 36ft boom on a 1991 GMC Top Kick. Currently all it is used for is tree maintenance around my property, cleaning my chimney and working on my old two story house if that makes a difference in anything.
Change it anyway if it looks nasty.

Change it anyway if it looks nasty.
I am assuming my oil supplier will know what I need if I ask for non conductive hydraulic fluid? Normally I would just dump AW32 in it and roll on but in the event that I ever sold it I would not want to put someone else in the same question if it were operated around overhead lines.

I am assuming my oil supplier will know what I need if I ask for non conductive hydraulic fluid? Normally I would just dump AW32 in it and roll on but in the event that I ever sold it I would not want to put someone else in the same question if it were operated around overhead lines.

Well, my local NAPA had the non-conductive oil.

Good thinking.

If it has ever had non-conductive oil in it or even suspected to have had, then you must assume contamination and the oil should be tested even if new non-conductive oil is utilized.

Oil testing is really the only way to find out.

If you ever sell the rig, then it would be the responsibility of the new owner to ensure the rig passes insulation testing prior to utilizing it near power lines. As the seller, you would communicate that with a buyer.

Are tree trimming service providers required to do insulation testing on their equipment from their insurance companies?

If it has ever had non-conductive oil in it or even suspected to have had, then you must assume contamination and the oil should be tested even if new non-conductive oil is utilized.

Oil testing is really the only way to find out.

If you ever sell the rig, then it would be the responsibility of the new owner to ensure the rig passes insulation testing prior to utilizing it near power lines. As the seller, you would communicate that with a buyer.

Are tree trimming service providers required to do insulation testing on their equipment from their insurance companies?
I think when I am done replacing hoses I am just going to flush the system and fill with new oil. I am going to say that it SHOULD have non conductive oil as all of the lines running through the boom are non conductive.

As far as if it would pass a die-electric test I am not sure. I am just using it for personal use around my property at the moment

Latest posts

Back