Best aftermarket air filters? Stihl and Husky pro saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, Stihl is becoming quite proud of their air filters, such as the HD2 being $43 from the dealer. Husky is still reasonable, but they have a few that are getting a little expensive as well. I've tried some aftermarket filters in the past, but found the fit and finish to be crappy and letting by more dirt/dust than I would like.

So has anyone had good luck with a certain brand of aftermarket filters? Mostly focused on the Stihl HD filters and the larger husky filters, but fire away if you have had a good experience of any other saws.

Hi guys, Stihl is becoming quite proud of their air filters, such as the HD2 being $43 from the dealer. Husky is still reasonable, but they have a few that are getting a little expensive as well. I've tried some aftermarket filters in the past, but found the fit and finish to be crappy and letting by more dirt/dust than I would like.

So has anyone had good luck with a certain brand of aftermarket filters? Mostly focused on the Stihl HD filters and the larger husky filters, but fire away if you have had a good experience of any other saws.

I maybe mistaken but I thought there was a K&N filter that fit the Stihl.

http://www.knfilters.ca/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-4250

Good thing is you can clean it and re-oil it.

I just bought a HD2 from my dealer a few hours ago for 30$. i agree though they are pricey.

I run a K&N with a prefilter on my 660 it seems to breath much better that stock but will cost about 75$ by the time you buy the velocity stack and prefilter.

I just bought a HD2 from my dealer a few hours ago for 30$. i agree though they are pricey.

I run a K&N with a prefilter on my 660 it seems to breath much better that stock but will cost about 75$ by the time you buy the velocity stack and prefilter.

any pics of this set up?

How bout going to max flow set ups on the stihls? 2 different styles to use depending on cutting conditions. I got to mess with one a while back and while ugly a little they do work good.

interesting, looks like a knock-off of the old K&Ns. I don't see anything stating whether these are oiled or not.

They're not meant to be oiled. They're a knock-off of the current Stihl HD2 filter.

How bout going to max flow set ups on the stihls? 2 different styles to use depending on cutting conditions. I got to mess with one a while back and while ugly a little they do work good.

I've run the Max Flows/Holeshot filters for going on 20 years. Most of the complaints on this site I see about them has to do with the appearance of them rather than the performance.

I started to get one when I was building this 046/460. I had the cover so I went ahead and got the HD 2. Running without a cover helps keep them a lot cleaner for me.

I started to get one when I was building this 046/460. I had the cover so I went ahead and got the HD 2. Running without a cover helps keep them a lot cleaner for me.
I've heard that people have had good luck with using the Outerwears covers with the HD2 filters. I don't care for the HD2 filters much, because they pack so fast with fines and it's difficult to get them really clean. I tried using the felt pre-filter but it still allows the filter to pack tightly with fine sawdust.

Yeah the only way I can keep them from packing is running without the covers. I may get. Max flow kit later on and sell the hd 2 filter or save it to rotate on the 88.

I've heard that people have had good luck with using the Outerwears covers with the HD2 filters. I don't care for the HD2 filters much, because they pack so fast with fines and it's difficult to get them really clean. I tried using the felt pre-filter but it still allows the filter to pack tightly with fine sawdust.

I have the outterwears cover on my 046 with an HD2, but haven't run it enough to give much of an opinion, but it does help. How much I'm not sure of yet.

In all honesty $40 odd isn't what I'd call pricey for a filter that will last for ages and protect your saw's internals.
I've heard of a number of people trying the eBay knock off filters. Only a couple have been OK and as good as OEM - others would have sucked a tennis ball through them.
I suppose it depends on what you're cutting though as many people love the OEM Husky HD filters but in my environment they are useless without being oiled. The HD2 filters and the Dolmar HD setup are the only filters I've used that will stop ultra fine dust.

i have a oem one from pre 2000s if your intersted pm i can send u picks price witl be a good deal since i payed 5 buck for it

I used to use the Outerwears pre filters but as you can see they trap the fines in the HD2 filter pleats so do more harm than good.If you think about it when the saw is turned of and not sucking air some of the dust will just fall off but if its under the pre filter its going no were.
With the Ozzy very fine dust the pre filters dont really help at all.:(

9611 042.jpg 9611 043.jpg

Back