Best bar length on a MS200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Joe, welcome.
Most people seem to like the 16" bar on the 200T simply because it has the power to pull it. I found it caused extensive pain in my wrist after extensive use. I found a lightweight bar that Stihl makes with a polymer insert in the middle but it is only available in 14", so that is what I use. The bar weighs all of about 4 ounces and is very durable. Only thing is that it sells for about $45 each. Well worth it for my primary weapon though.

We sue all 14" 50 dl bars. I too have got all 4 of our companies we own to switch to the lighter bars. I am phasing them in as the old ones wear out. they really balance out the saw!

I personally like the 14".

I've found that it is far easier to climb through branch crotches with the shorter bar. I know that 2" doesn't sound like much, but it can become frustrating in certain situations. I also like the balance that a 14" bar provides.

I do not understand how a 14" bar will work. Unless all you do is prune or deadwood. The weight of the 200T with a 16" suits me fine.

What do you do when you get over 16 inches.

I prefer the 14" bar due to personal preference. When the diameter gets to be too much for this bar a upgrade to a larger saw/bar combo to get the job done. Typically, start with the 14" - MS200T, then go to 18" - MS260, then 28" - MS460Mag and if need be, bigger!

Personal experience has shown that every saw serves a purpose and you'll never be able to do every job with only one saw!

Yes. I understand. Alot is personal preference also. For me the 16 is all I need in the tree. Comming down a big stick, near the bottom I 'll go to a regular handle saw 18"

14" bar always....once in a while i'll set them up w/ the ultra light bar but have found them to be easily bent and a bit too pricey...

All 3 ms200T's have 16" bars on them. It is just the way to go. I roll up in the tree cutting anything over 3" with the saw but just use the handsaw for everything else.

hey joe

Joe Wise said:
What is your favorite bar length on a MS200T climbing saw for balance
and ease of use.

Thanks,

Joe
14in gets alot done in the tree then i have an 18in on a 52cc saw for the next phase.and so on

Latest posts

Back