Best be cutting extra.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in northern BC Canada. last winter was my first one with wood heat as my primary ( bought my first house). We are all soft woods up here. Fir and Pine. Due to our Pine Beetle infestation we have standing dead/dry pine all over. Most people around here don't start cutting until September. We see -30C/-22F to -40C/-40F quite regularly. Most of the time we are Highs of -10C/14F and lows of -20C/-4F. I burn from end of September to early May. I burnt 8 cords but had 4 cords extra.

I am almost filled back up with 12cords. Bring on winter. Hunting, Ice fishing and burning wood. what more could I want

Living in the northern part of southern ontario i really get a mix of the typea of wood. Lots of red maple in my area. Also lots of pine and basswood. oak is there aswell. So my shed and stacks arewell mixed. I only try to seperate the oak from the other hardwoods. And I keep the pine and basswood in there own stack s.

I hope this winter is 5 times as worse, below zero for months not weeks and snow over the roofs from December to March. Its winter it should snow and it should be cold in the North, hell maybe some of these invasive species may finally get knocked down to size. Solar cycles portend a cooling phase, they say!? I am on track for 12-14 cords

I hope this winter is 5 times as worse, below zero for months not weeks and snow over the roofs from December to March. Its winter it should snow and it should be cold in the North, hell maybe some of these invasive species may finally get knocked down to size. Solar cycles portend a cooling phase, they say!? I am on track for 12-14 cords

I hope YOU get that too, I just don't hope "WE" get it! lol

SR

I currently have about 20 cords ready to burn. There are about 7to 10 more where I am cutting. I told the wife we can sell some and she says NO! Keep bringing it home for us to burn.

With a shelf life of decades, It never hurts to have extra on hand if you have the room for it.
With the exception of my personal stash I sold every stick I had last year.
I'm getting worried because the wood hasn't rolled in this year like it has in the past.
I got a load today of some dry water oak. About 2 1/2 cords worth.
Seems my tree guys are doing limb work and not taking down any big trees rite now.
It's July and my yard is almost bare.
I hate saying sorry i'm out of stock. It makes me look bad.

Been lingering around this site for quite some time but only recently joined; this is my first post @v@ :)
Last winter's propane bills about killed us and although I have cut & burned wood most of my life, I quit in 2003 when I built the new home... Didn't want the bugs or mess. Have had everything from a furnace in the basement, an OWB (no boiler) and a pot belly. This past March, I gave in and installed a decent wood stove. Been cutting every since as time permits. My father in law who sells wood ran out of wood for himself... He ended up cutting wood along side the road for the fields weren't accessible due to the snow depth. I still can't cut out-back due to the swamp water being so high so, I have been cutting whatever comes my way. Have about 9 full cord of mixed hardwood cut, splt and stacked so far and... I guess I have a new hobby (ha).

With the exception of my personal stash I sold every stick I had last year.

I hate saying sorry i'm out of stock. It makes me look bad.

I would think even if you fall into some wood NOW you would still have to say "Sorry I'm out", because it sure wouldn't have time to season to burn this winter would it?

Went through about 12 cords of wood last year and ran out:( and 2 tanks of oil. Have about 8 cords split so far and 6 or 7 to go. Got a new woodstove for the basement too so I'll need the extra.
I hope this winter is just like last or better, more snow! Just got another plow truck added to the fleet!

I would think even if you fall into some wood NOW you would still have to say "Sorry I'm out", because it sure wouldn't have time to season to burn this winter would it?

Down here in the summer with temps in the high 90's -100+ it dont take that long to season firewood.
As long as you split it and stack it in the sun and in the open it will be ready in 3-4 months.
If I get a lot of rain it takes a bit longer.
But that for fresh green wood.
If it's standing dead wood it takes much less time.
Size of the splits also determine dry time.
Post oak and mesquite seem to take the longest.

Been cutting huge @ss logs that have been limbed out and left for worm-wood cuz nobody around here has enough saw to mess with... Pre-seasoned and ready to burn once you get past the first few rounds!!! Just recently given an 8 yr old dead swamp oak that was cut down by the power company three years ago. Omg she's hard, dry n'heavy but tis free... Recent storms have provided a steady supply of green wood for the winter after next... Cutting a lot extra now... Worried about my neighbors (older father-in-law and widowed sister-in-law) falling short... Besides, they can burn green wood while I can't...

Went through about 12 cords of wood last year and ran out:( and 2 tanks of oil. Have about 8 cords split so far and 6 or 7 to go. Got a new woodstove for the basement too so I'll need the extra.
I hope this winter is just like last or better, more snow! Just got another plow truck added to the fleet!

More snow? Are you insane? :). We got 7+ feet here albeit thankfully only a foot or two at a time. What-a-mess... The fields had snow in March and the woods still had snow in May and June. The lakes, rivers and swamps are still peak levels here. Colder here than Alaska; probably the worst cold spell in two decades. The recent winter has provided me a new ambition to get my heating bills in order. I dunno if the economy here could withstand any more snow days off work... My daughter was stranded for week at at time... Even the snow plows refused her road... That said, my brother in law made a killing plowing driveways!!! My Allis C got a workout just doing my driveway (ha)... Plowing snow in May was interesting. Not sure what was worse, the snow drifts or the ruts from my loaded tires.

I started cutting the remnants of my year old pile of logs tonight...got to get it cut up first, then I can focus on splitting everything. As I said before, I have about six cords put up since last year, plus I got a batch (about 1.5 cords) piled on pallets in the open, and this wood that I'm cutting is several years dead so it won't take long to season. Other than the two cords of freebie pine I got a couple weeks ago, all of it should be ready to go this fall...and even the pine should be ready as it was cut before the spring thaw. The only thing that sucks is that this pile of logs is murder on my chain...cut all that pine and only touched up the chain, I'm filing hard with each tank of gas on this stuff; I can only guess its dirty...but it should yield about three cords of mix hardwood.

I burnt around six cords last year, my parents (further north) burnt almost 16 cords they told me the other day (more than I originally thought). I usually burn around three, they burn around eight to ten. I'm going to have way more than what I normally have because of last winter. My neighbors were burning around $1300 in propane a month during the cold spell...my propane bill from November to March was $350. It made the Wife appreciate firewood...

I picked up 35 pallets last week to put the splits on. Some 16" long rounds here have been sitting up off the ground for 2-3 years, I don't think it'll take long for them to season the rest of the way. I think I'll be splitting for a long, long time. I cut 85 standing dead Oaks and Maples last winter, some were dead for a year before that. None smaller than about 16" DBH, largest Oak was about 38" DBH. Just got to get it all cut to length and split and I'll be set for a long while.

Have about 10-12 cords of mostly dead standing oak and another 4-5 cords of 11/2 year old beech and oak. But I'm still cutting!! After last winter not taking anything for granted! Have a feeling going to be another rough one but with more snow!!
Just got a fresh order of new chains and files from Bailey's today!

Latest posts

Back