Best bar and chain for cutting notches?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedhub

Reaction score
I am almost completely inexperienced with chainsaws, but I think they might be the best tool for a carpentry job I'm planning, so I'm here to learn from the experts.

I need to cut square notches, about 2.5" wide and 2.5" deep, across 4x8 timbers. I plan to use a chainsaw to cut a series of kerfs across the timber, then knock out any remaining waste and clean up the floor of the notch with a slick. I plan on using a plug-in electric chainsaw (I'll be in my shop) outfitted with bar quides (similar to the EDM tracer) and a plywood template.

What combination of bar and chain would give me the best finished surface and a flat bottom in the notch, while cutting as wide a kerf as possible? And what plug-in electric saws should I be looking at?

Thank you very much!

Well none will give you the desired finish result but any will get you close. You are still going to need to surface the notch with a router and a solid template.

Well none will give you the desired finish result but any will get you close. You are still going to need to surface the notch with a router and a solid template.
I'm not looking for a fine finish. The smoothest surface I can get with a chainsaw is perfectly acceptable for this application.

I am almost completely inexperienced with chainsaws, but I think they might be the best tool for a carpentry job I'm planning, so I'm here to learn from the experts.

I need to cut square notches, about 2.5" wide and 2.5" deep, across 4x8 timbers. I plan to use a chainsaw to cut a series of kerfs across the timber, then knock out any remaining waste and clean up the floor of the notch with a slick. I plan on using a plug-in electric chainsaw (I'll be in my shop) outfitted with bar quides (similar to the EDM tracer) and a plywood template.

What combination of bar and chain would give me the best finished surface and a flat bottom in the notch, while cutting as wide a kerf as possible? And what plug-in electric saws should I be looking at?

Thank you very much!
Any sharp chain will work. The kerf size is governed by the gauge that the saw will run, which, given that it's an electric saw, as Bill pointed out, means 3/8 LP. If your budget allows, and you want a nicer finish, a 10 1/4" circular saw would be the thing to use.

Thank you very much!
the one you can afford...
In reality, there are a number of battery powered chainsaws out there, that are perfect for this sort of work, keep a sharp chain on em
If yer ded set on getting a gasser, a top handle saw, or a small saw with a "carvers" bar on it would be skookum too
(carvers bar has an exceptionally small nose radius to prevent kickbacks and generally run small gauge chains)

the one you can afford...
In reality, there are a number of battery powered chainsaws out there, that are perfect for this sort of work, keep a sharp chain on em
If yer ded set on getting a gasser, a top handle saw, or a small saw with a "carvers" bar on it would be skookum too
(carvers bar has an exceptionally small nose radius to prevent kickbacks and generally run small gauge chains)
Did you even bother to read what the OP said in post #1? I really wonder....................

Here is what was said................

....................................I need to cut square notches, about 2.5" wide and 2.5" deep, across 4x8 timbers. I plan to use a chainsaw to cut a series of kerfs across the timber, then knock out any remaining waste and clean up the floor of the notch with a slick. I plan on using a plug-in electric chainsaw (I'll be in my shop) outfitted with bar quides (similar to the EDM tracer) and a plywood template.

What combination of bar and chain would give me the best finished surface and a flat bottom in the notch,
while cutting as wide a kerf as possible? And what plug-in electric saws should I be looking at?......................

Makita has a plug in chainsaw, it sure looks like a good portion is the same as their hypoid saw (like a worm drive but different design of reduction gear) circular saw. I don't know what chain it uses. A chainsaw bar is somewhat curved where the chain rides. Like Bill says a router with a long bit and a large base will clean up the bottom. I also do not know what a slick is. either. A small tooth with a large drive link kind of makes the smoothest cuts. As to finish, a solid bar either hard nose or replaceable nose or just a sprocket nose (some discontinued ones) will have a more precise groove in the bar for the drive links to ride in as opposed to a laminated bar. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back