Best budget 16" saw for around the house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fawkes

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've found myself in need of a decent saw here lately and would like to pick up something that's reliable, has a 16" bar, and is around $200. I think a 16" would be perfect for the light cutting I have to do around the house, and a good saw to take camping or use out four-wheeling.

The two that stand out are the Stihl MS170 and the Husky 240. They're the same price, $179, and I can find both locally. I've heard some mediocre reviews on the Husky, but a friend of mine has one that I've borrowed before that has always been good to us. Granted, I could shop around local pawn shops for a good used saw but I don't really want to mess with replacing rotted fuel lines, and messing with gummed up carbs and the uncertainty. I've got a few project saws already, so I'm looking for something that is ready to go right out of the box, and in the mean time I can work on the projects when I have more time.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought and hear some suggestions. I know for $200 I'm not getting the absolute best the world has to offer, and I'm not expecting that. And it's not going to see alot of HARD abuse. I just want something that will last me many years. I'm a mechanic so replacing stuff and maintenance over time is a given and to be expected. And of course using the proper fuel and lubricants will keep it running right. [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have owned the MS170 for several years and have never regretted the purchase. Not had any issues to mention, just been a solid dependable saw that is up for the task. I have used it hard and it still runs like a top. Plan on passing it down to my son for his first saw, I’m guessing it will outlast me. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All comments are good to consider. I have pro saws (more than I need, yeah surprise ) I picked up 170 Stihl Dealer Days $159 Just because. Dealer changed out bar and chain to .050 ga. 14". Recommend same. Compare improved chain over puny .043 ga. Bar is standard E instead of Mini. Surprised how much it chews up. Use Motomix to double Warranty. Get an extra chain or 2 and keep sharp.
Hey guys,
So I've found myself in need of a decent saw here lately and would like to pick up something that's reliable, has a 16" bar, and is around $200. I think a 16" would be perfect for the light cutting I have to do around the house, and a good saw to take camping or use out four-wheeling.

The two that stand out are the Stihl MS170 and the Husky 240. They're the same price, $179, and I can find both locally. I've heard some mediocre reviews on the Husky, but a friend of mine has one that I've borrowed before that has always been good to us. Granted, I could shop around local pawn shops for a good used saw but I don't really want to mess with replacing rotted fuel lines, and messing with gummed up carbs and the uncertainty. I've got a few project saws already, so I'm looking for something that is ready to go right out of the box, and in the mean time I can work on the projects when I have more time.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought and hear some suggestions. I know for $200 I'm not getting the absolute best the world has to offer, and I'm not expecting that. And it's not going to see alot of HARD abuse. I just want something that will last me many years. I'm a mechanic so replacing stuff and maintenance over time is a given and to be expected. And of course using the proper fuel and lubricants will keep it running right. [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
f1aee3b96af03b020db3fcac8fe9663c.jpg
27d83f80677bd9243dced4afed85fc0e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

All good choices mentioned. Don't be afraid to look at the Ryobi 3714/16 I've got one and it has served me well. Also take a look at the husqvarna 440.

I too bought an ms170 for 200cad last year. Nice little saw and for the same price as that pile o crap poulan you get something that is built ten times better.
Did a muffler mod and threw on an adjustable carb, had to mod the linkage and the carb box to make it work.
The biggest downfall with this saw is the lack of an adjustable carb but I believe the 180 has an adjustable carb.

However saying that I did own a 170 from 2007 with no adjustable carb and it lasted for 10 years of cutting before I retired it.

I'm a fan of the small Echo saws. If you can find a dealer with their one day sale (see promotions on the website), it drops the price 20%. Something like the CS-352 or CS-400 would be a better saw in my opinion.

Welcome to the site.

I would focus on displacement... get at least 45cc. Always better to sit on the power even if you're not always using it.
I've been really surprised at how nicely our Echo CS450 has performed and held up.
Starts up every time on one choke pull and then one pull without.
Oils great and sips the gas. I have not done any mods or felt the need to.
It's been here 6 years now and getting regular use with a 20" bar...
This saw is plenty capable and can be found in your price range.
I see them on CL all the time. Folks buy them for one project and then sell used at $100-$150.

I've posted this pic before.
40915802204_892813a6a4_z.jpg

I'd buy new over used every time if at all possible. ECHO is a very good saw, and are reasonably priced.

Home Depot sells um. Often, they have some that were returned for whatever reason, and they discount the price considerably. They still carry a full warranty too.

And, HD has special sales thru-out the year, offering various discounts.

Whatever you end up with, new or used, whatever brand, longevity boils down to proper use and maintenance. Properly used and cared for, a lowly home-owner saw will last just as long as any pro model saw will.

Someone will probley give me a hard time for posting this but...
I've run ms170's and husky 240's my buddies have them, they do last well, but that's all they have going for them. My timberpro 6150(62cc Chinese saw) cost less and cuts quite a bit faster, it also starts better, it's one of the easiest starting saws made.
When comparing saws by price it's a lot more saw for your money than a little 30 or 40cc stihl or husky, it's a little slow for a 60cc saw but it still kills a 40cc saw.
You do have to tune the timberpro tho, it comes set rich and doesn't rev like it should/can out of the box.

I bought a factory reconditioned Husky 435 (41cc) saw from CPO Outlets for $160 a few months ago. I had to tune the carb when I got it, but it's been great. Leaves you a few bucks for a new chain some pre-mix and bar oil.

Disclaimer: I only by husky, Get a factory reconditioned echo or makita...they are inexpensive to begin with and one thats reconditioned is even better. for that same $200 you can walk away with an almost pro level saw that is way better than either the husky or stihl. at that price point. Husky and stihl only shine in the pro level offerings...the rest of them are no different than any of the saws from china.

Disclaimer: I only buy Husky. Get a factory reconditioned Echo or Makita...they are inexpensive to begin with and one that's reconditioned is even better. for that same $200 you can walk away with an almost pro level saw that is way better than either the Husky or Stihl. at that price point. Husky and Stihl only shine in the pro level offerings...the rest of them are no different than any of the saws from China.
Agreed. One of the best overall saws I have is my Makita 520i that I bought used here. It came with a 16" bar and I upped that to an 18". Other than that, I made no changes or repairs and it runs like top with lots of power. I think it was under $180 shipped. A best buy in my book.

A bit more info would be helpful.

Is this going to be your ONLY saw?

If you have other saws, what do you have?

For ME, as an only saw, I wouldn't recommend less than a 50cc saw. If you have other larger saws, then I can see the need for a small nimble saw. Having Husky's from 38cc to 119cc, I do find that I use the little 23 Compact Top Handle more than I thought I would when I bought it. I never knew how much I "Needed" a Good 50cc saw until I got my 353. For over 25 years My 23 Compact and 266XP were a Good 2 saw plan, but I have sure grown to appreciate having the right saw for the job.

A Good 50cc saw hits a real nice sweet spot for enough power for most moderate tasks, and is still light and nimble.
We all like to save money, but for an ONLY saw, a bit more invested may be worthwhile.

MY thoughts, YMMV,

Doug :cheers:

Latest posts

Back