Best chain for this:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you really think I need to upgrade to a new saw? I don't know because I've never ran a nice one. All I know is I can't bog the one I have, it starts reliably, is very light weight, and has been beat on for 2 yrs with no problems. Lugging a 100cc dirtbike engine around seems like flyswatting with a 12ga. :confused:

I took it apart the other day for a cleaning n that.... I noticed the drive gear had a notch carved in the middle of each tooth. :jawdrop: So, I jumped on ebay and ordered a couple more of those, but couldn't wait to do some bucking so I welded the teeth back on and dremeled them smooth. It works fine. :D

So, anyway, my point is I know the saw well enough and have a small stock of spare parts.... Should I really bail now? I just want a chain.... I'd LOVE to have a chain that will bog my saw! I know they're out there. I figure if a sharp chain will bog my saw, it should still cut dead, rotten wood when dull just by ripping the wood apart. No?

If you are happy with the saw, then so be it. I can't tell you you need a new saw, you have to figure that one out!!!
If you keep hanging around here you WILL have a new saw, I do KNOW that!!!
I'm teling you to feed the sales guy a line of bull to get him to be more helpful for what you need!!

Always keep your chains as sharp as you can, it's safer for you and better for the saw!!!

I might check out your general discussion type area if ya have one.

I don't know much about chainsaws, but my experience with "dealers" in general has... well, how do I put this nicely.... They usually focus more on selling stuff than fixin stuff. ;)

Randy,

Check out the local Stihl shop, tell him what saw ya got, stand by for some abuse about the Saw, take it tongue in cheek like I do, and he will get you good chain while trying to sell you a MS260 or some other saw.

The small saw shops stay in business selling parts, service, and accesorys, and would go broke selling saws.

Let the guy know that when you wear out the saw you have, you'll be back for something Orange, but in the meantime, you're gonna burn up the Saw ya got. If they have been in business very long, they will take care of ya without pounding on ya too bad, in order to steal your business from the box stores... unless of course you're a Husky loving fool, then they will beat on ya over anything and everything.:D

Stihl Saw shops= Good folks for the most part, and in most places.

Like you, I eat chains up thanks to all the sand in the wood around here, and the Oregon(Husky) blister packed garbage chain lasts about one good log before the file comes out. I even tried the new Oregon chain advertised as "For cutting dirty wood etc...". Nope. Gimme the Stihl chain.

Stihl chain in RMC is good for several logs before needing the file.
In files alone it saves money and is worth the abuse. ;)

Stick around, the General talk crew can be viscious!:greenchainsaw:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ok, I'll give the dealer a shot. Uh.... I'm looking in the phonebook.... What do I look under? :blush: Nothing under chainsaw. :D

Nevermind... I found 2 of em within 10 miles of me. Stihl dealers. Dealer locator on website.

if your looking for a chain that'll last a long time check the stihl rapid duro chain. carbide tipped, i use it i cut alot of wood that's dragged in the dirt and this chain last's forever compared to a rsc. i use 3/8 but am pretty sure it comes in .325. a little harder to harpen after but the carbide is the only way to go for me around here

Ok, I'll give the dealer a shot. Uh.... I'm looking in the phonebook.... What do I look under? :blush: Nothing under chainsaw. :D

Not under the saw, that's where the bar oil collects.:biggrinbounce2:

Try "small Engines" and "Lawnmowers".

Best of luck!
Dingeryote

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!!!

Hey just said what I have been saying, just nicely:givebeer:

Yeah, but ya need ta put the saw guys in it!!!! LOL!

Viscious I tell ya, Viscious!

Dinger

So,,, are most guys here conservatives or liberals? :popcorn:

Hard for me to guess.... Let's see... 2-stroke fans = conservative, but arborist = liberal. But wait, you guys cut trees down, so I'm going with conservative. Final answer. :)

if your looking for a chain that'll last a long time check the stihl rapid duro chain. carbide tipped, i use it i cut alot of wood that's dragged in the dirt and this chain last's forever compared to a rsc. i use 3/8 but am pretty sure it comes in .325. a little harder to harpen after but the carbide is the only way to go for me around here

I was going to ask about those, but then I seen they didn't have it in the .325 version. And I have no idea what PICCO means. :confused:

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

I doubt he's going to want to spend $100 a loop on chain right now.

Hard for me to guess.... Let's see... 2-stroke fans = conservative, but arborist = liberal. But wait, you guys cut trees down, so I'm going with conservative. Final answer. :)

Thats another can of worms!!!! Go to the main page and scroll down. There is a seperate forum just for politics, but tread lightly, tread REAL LIGHTLY!!!!!! You think the chainsaw bunch is rough, just wait until you get in there!!

I was going to ask about those, but then I seen they didn't have it in the .325 version. And I have no idea what PICCO means. :confused:

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/types.html

It's a 3/8" "low profile" chain, basicly 1/4", made for special aplications on the smaller Stihl saws, like the ms170, ms180, 192t and 200t.
Not what you want or need for this saw.

Thats another can of worms!!!! Go to the main page and scroll down. There is a seperate forum just for politics, but tread lightly, tread REAL LIGHTLY!!!!!! You think the chainsaw bunch is rough, just wait until you get in there!!

What's the worst they can do? Send me a coupon for 10% off my next Poulan??? :bringit: :)

Conservative Liberals in the classic sense it seems.

"Conserve the Beer for Liberal consumption after cutting.":D

Oh, and Ummm.... The term "Hippy" seems to be contentious around here.

It seems there are tree cuttin' Hippys, and classic hippys, plus Neo-Con Hippys with chainsaws, but few Vegan, eco-Nazi Hippys, which is a good thing.

Good luck figurin' out "Tree huggers" around here. LOL!!!

You'll have fun either way.
Just keep the Vidalias coming north or else!:greenchainsaw:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

true. you could get 2 poulan pro's for that then ya got 2 new chain's

sorry randy, just kiddin

That saw is a bit like inkjet printers... I only paid $200 for it and it came with a new chain, but not a carbide one.

I tell ya what though, I know the difference in a carbide tipped circle saw blade and a plain steel one. I'd never substitute a steel for a carbide in my table saw! I just worry about sharpening it. Circle saw blades are cheap and don't need sharpening though.

Latest posts

Back