Best Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ultimately chose the particular pair of labonvilles i did because they offered the most protection (12 layers kevlar, 1000 denier covering) for the best price. Also like that they wrap fully around your ankles.

I recently bought a pair of Arborwear RAC Calf Wrap Style chaps and I'm really liking them so far. Very comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, adjustable, and stay in place around your leg.

I am a safety technician for an electric utility. We dont use chainsaws all the time, when we do use chainsaws it is in very unfavorable conditions often many tensions and forces at the same time, often at night.

I have brought in numerous trainers, and done a fair amount of research.
I can go on and bore the tears out of you but I will speed up the point I am trying to make.

Here are the chaps I typically provide for my coworkers
stihl pro mark wrap chaps

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/wrapchap/

we can buy them for about 105-110 buck locally, one big thing about them is they are washable. When the chaps get old and you can no longer feel the fibers moving inside they are no longer good. Unless you can wash them and free the fibers.
I chose these chaps because they are available at out local ope dealer, it supports local, price is fair and it is easy and repeatable.

Wear what ever chaps you buy tight on your leg. when the saw hits it will spin the chaps around. that is why wrap chaps are a better choice. the highest probability is your left leg and foot. I know it is harder to walk in but it is important to keep the leg straps cinched tight.

any chaps are better than no chaps. this is just my suggestion.

also you may want to think about protective boots, I have a pair of Haix that are rugged but feel like bricks tied to my feet. I also have a pair of matterhorn mt2000 which are very nice boots but have a hefty price tag.

at the bare minimum wear steel toe boots not composite.

be safe

David

Back