Best Cylinder and Piston Kits?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmDog

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 440 Stihl that has a scored piston and probably cylinder. There are alot of rebuild kits on ebay. What are the good ones and bad ones? Wondering what other guys have used and had good luck with? Should I go with the big bore or not? I know Stihl products would be twice as good but then price comes into play.Thanks

Might as well go w/ bb. If you stick around here long enuf you'll end up doing it anyway!!

i don't think i've ever heard one bad word about Mahle P/C kits, but IDK if you can get them any more

the BB kits i've heard mixed reviews
Mahle is OEM on most Stihl, so you should get it at the Stihl dealer...:msp_tongue:
Stihl also uses Gilardoni on smaller saws (like Husqvarna) and own cylinders, made in Brazil i guess. I#ve seen a 440 with such a OEM STIHL cylinder. OEM Cylinder kits are of course not cheap...
If you want aftermarket, Tecomec or Meteor...
Max

The ones with OEM, or Meteor cylinder/pistons. Have had several experiences with After Market cylinders...not real pleased with the ones from across the Pacific from any vendors I have used, and that's most of them. There is one I saw recently that has promise from the Tillton folks, but until I get one, build a saw around it and run it for a while like I have the other ones, I'm holding comment. Hate to throw water on the "save the dollar crowd", but stock is best.

(Note: I have almost no Stihl experience, Mostly Husqvarna & Jonsered with the aftermarket stuff)

Last edited:
I just purchased a meteor p&c and the casting is very different than the mahle... Ports and transfers are different sizes than OEM. extra material around the decomp valve makes it very difficult to tighten the decomp valve in properly as well.

Regards,

SAWs

Back