Best Hookeroon/Pickeroon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Pickeroon? (These are what's available at Bailey's...) VOTE FOR YOUR TOP 2 CHOICES

• Logrite 30"

• Logrite 36"

• Fiskars Hookaroon (28" Fiberglass Composite Handle) XA22

• Council Tool Hookeroon with 36" Wooden Handle

• Peavey Mfg 36" Hookeroon (Hume Pickeroon)

• Woodchuck Hookeroon (45" Aluminum Handle) WCT0745

• Woodchuck Hookeroon (32" Aluminum Handle) WCT07

• Oregon Sappie Lifting Pick (27" Aluminum Handle) 536320

• Oregon Sappie Lifting Pick (20" Aluminum Handle) 536319

• Something Else (I'll post below...)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I made myself a Hookeroon/Pickeroon and after using it for a while, it's deficiencies have become evident. Mostly the round steel pipe I used as a handle... it bends into a nice compound curve after about a truckload of use, then needs to be straightened a bit.... and you know how that goes... it's now just a little stiffer than spaghetti. And because if its size, it literally has tore my hand up. Tore one of my callouses clean off. But, it did show me that a good pickeroon is REQUIRED.

What do you guys feel is the best one out there? Which one do you use? Pros/Cons?

LOL, not going against any grain!! Like I said... those are just the ones that are on Bailey's. I added a "Something Else" option to the poll.

Thanks for the feedback!!

The Logrite's are likely the strongest/toughest and I like that you can replace the stinger. I actually prefer the type that have a handle similar to a single bit axe that are slimmer and somewhat oblong in shape. My reason: with a round handle i find myself always needing to look at the point and make sure it is located properly to stick into the wood, with an axe type handle you always know because the flatter portions of the handle are always on the sides and you know the point is straight and ready to stick wood. My 2 cents.

I have only used one brand, the Logrite. No complaints. They are a must have imo. I have 2 30"; I have used the 36" and don't care for the length. I suppose if you need the extra length that is the way to go but after using the 30" for so long the 36" felt awkward.

I'll also go against the grain of your survey. Although I re-hung an old head I found with a Youth Ax handle. I haven't found one I like enough to declare a winner. I usually leave it hanging in my shed. It is my opinion that a son, or two, make the best firewood handling aids.

View attachment 884899
Hey, no grain! Did you see grain? Where? I didn't put any grain in intentionally. Just looking for experiences and opinions.

At $60 + shipping or more, these things aren't "Buy it to Try It". ;)

Bought the smaller one from Garret Wade a year ago.
A lot better to use than any others I’ve had. One swing, sticks in endgrain, bark, sideways.
Far superior point geometry.

Attachments

• D3B82647-D2E0-4D61-B457-BAB7ABF16E14.jpeg
    D3B82647-D2E0-4D61-B457-BAB7ABF16E14.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 51
The Logrite's are likely the strongest/toughest and I like that you can replace the stinger. I actually prefer the type that have a handle similar to a single bit axe that are slimmer and somewhat oblong in shape. My reason: with a round handle i find myself always needing to look at the point and make sure it is located properly to stick into the wood, with an axe type handle you always know because the flatter portions of the handle are always on the sides and you know the point is straight and ready to stick wood. My 2 cents.

I have a log rite 36 and a Stihl 24". The Stihl is identical to the logrite, i.e, a logrite in a different dress. I like them as they have the perfect balance, the new bit is more of a chisel shape and bites in well. There is no extra weight and what there is id concentrated out on the end. True that the don't 'index' but I find that only a very minor drawback.

It looks like there is too much "hook" in the point of this hookeroon... like it would be good for reaching out and pulling something toward you, but would be hard to swing and imbed the point into a piece of wood.
Have you used this one yet?
Good eye... these have a specific use. They are for pulling logs off of forks into dump trailers. So the forks don't have to dump all logs at once. We have used them a lot. The first 3 I made were traced off of the store bought Husqvarna.... I did not take pics

Back