Best Hookeroon/Pickeroon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Pickeroon? (These are what's available at Bailey's...) VOTE FOR YOUR TOP 2 CHOICES

• Logrite 30"

• Logrite 36"

• Fiskars Hookaroon (28" Fiberglass Composite Handle) XA22

• Council Tool Hookeroon with 36" Wooden Handle

• Peavey Mfg 36" Hookeroon (Hume Pickeroon)

• Woodchuck Hookeroon (45" Aluminum Handle) WCT0745

• Woodchuck Hookeroon (32" Aluminum Handle) WCT07

• Oregon Sappie Lifting Pick (27" Aluminum Handle) 536320

• Oregon Sappie Lifting Pick (20" Aluminum Handle) 536319

• Something Else (I'll post below...)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I usually use the hook with one hand so it seems a bit heavy for me, although it is undoubtedly very well made

I don’t know a thing about store bought. When I saw a thread here about Hookaroon I had to make one. This one has served me well for years. I can pull, push, pry and lift with it. Best feature, I stick it in the ground and it is right handy.

C6664F01-0F61-4BA1-8079-E5EE3D9A1EB2.jpeg9B48A44A-31F8-4541-BC30-E8EADA037B50.jpeg

Very true. Thanks for the tip! I never thought about when splitting.
I got my picks room from Peavey manufacturing in Maine. They have several types. You can choose the length handle you want. They are also the inventor of the original log peavey. An old school company with great customer service. I was reconditioning an old peavey and Pickeroon my grandpa had and they sent me the exact replacement handles I needed. They make all their own stuff too.

I got my picks room from Peavey manufacturing in Maine. They have several types. You can choose the length handle you want. They are also the inventor of the original log peavey. An old school company with great customer service. I was reconditioning an old peavey and Pickeroon my grandpa had and they sent me the exact replacement handles I needed. They make all their own stuff too.
Nothing quite like the feel of a good piece of hickory in the hand. But I’m just ol’ school that way.

First of all, I've never used a Peavey. Only cant hooks. So, that being said, what is the purpose of the point on a peavey? It seems like for rolling logs and big pieces of wood, a cant hook would be much more effective at biting in and moving wood.

Only thing I can see is the point would be nice for sticking into the dirt and keeping the peavey standing ready. But how does it help using the tool for what it is made for?

Peavey is used for handling logs such as loading trucks without a front end loader. That’s why it has a longer handle. The cant hook is used for turning cants on a sawmill without a hydraulic log Turner. It had a shorter handle usually

Peavey is used for handling logs such as loading trucks without a front end loader. That’s why it has a longer handle. The cant hook is used for turning cants on a sawmill without a hydraulic log Turner. It had a shorter handle usually
The point makes it easy to put beteeen logs to separate them so the peavey can be attached more easily

The point makes it easy to put beteeen logs to separate them so the peavey can be attached more easily
The invent of gas / Diesel engines and hydraulics has kinda made the peavey obsolete. But it’s still a useful tool when cutting firewood when no heavy equipment is available. It’s also fun to work sometimes as our ancestors did so we can more appreciate the advantages technology has given us

The point on my hookaroon I use to push and roll logs or bucked pieces. Or I pry logs apart. I also use it for 2 handed lifting of any heavy pieces. It sure works good. And as pointed out I can stick in the ground and easily find the tool. For rolling heavy logs I made my version of a can’t hook.
F5BDC237-E3EE-4E42-B1A0-C7F9831FDE1C.jpeg

I've had a couple Logrite 36" for years. the tips were getting a little trashed so I installed the new upgraded tips and kept the old ones to make a long handled pickaroon for unloading rounds out of the 8' box on the truck. I can reach everything except the last rank behind the cab.

Attachments

• 0126201709.jpg
    0126201709.jpg
    863.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 0126201710.jpg
    0126201710.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 21
Back