Best loader for the job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADAMH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
new to the forum....

I am starting up a firewood business, and want the best loader to load split firewood from a pile on the ground into a dump trailer.

Currently i have a Massey ferguson 245 2wd tractor with loader, but it sucks in the snow..tried weight boxes and just cant get enough traction.

I was thinking of getting a simular size 4wd tractor....

however.... I have been looking a new holland LS150 or Ls160 skidsteer loaders. With a rock picker type tine bucket..

what would you guys suggest? I am kinda leaning towards the skidsteer...

it will be operated on flat ground mostly in the winter..and 100% as a loader..so the PTO option of the tractor is not a factor.

has anyone used a skidsteer as a loader for firewood? how well has it worked for you? what type bucket would you suggest?

Thanks
Adam

why not throw snowchains on wheels, should have plenty of traction that way....

you think chains will make that much difference?

if so..its 100% worth trying vs going out and buying a new skidsteer

Adam

you think chains will make that much difference?

if so..its 100% worth trying vs going out and buying a new skidsteer

Adam

Atleast it works over here... depends on your tires thou, if theyre "slick" it wont help a bit but if theyre good tires then chains should do wonders...

Adam- Skidsteer with rock bucket works awesome. Tire chains will also do wonders. either way I think you'll be happy. Obviously the chains are a little cheaper, but a skidsteer is awfully handy to have for a firewood business. let us know which way you go.

1845 case skidder / skidsteer

I use a case ,1845, with chains and a grapple bucket, Kind of pricy, But its an awsum loader, Skidders for the most part dont work well on ice or snow without chains, the graple buckets are a real back saver in the tree buisness you can handle long logs even whole trees 12" in diameter with ease they are great cleaning up the brush, and will move large or small chunks of wood like nothing Ive ever used, Kind of like opperating a 7000 pound robot, Yea a LOT of fun too. If your thinkin about buying a skid steer you will need the axy hydraulics to run the grapple attachment

Hay elevator

get an old steel hay elevator and a ten horse wisconsin engine. Just leave it idling beside you and toss the split pieces onto the conveyor as they come off the splitter.

skid steer works well.
i have an xt75, about the same size as the newholland 180.

i have an 8 foot wide bucket, 4 foot deep, 2 feet tall. 4 good scoops is a tad over a cord of wood.

about 3 minutes to load the trailer.

Case 580 E, K, L, or M. 4 wheel drive and 4 in one bucket. Can easilly grab a one ton or more log and gently place it as needed, in the truck, woodpile, etc

Bob

Currently i have a Massey ferguson 245 2wd tractor with loader, but it sucks in the snow..tried weight boxes and just cant get enough traction.

Thanks
Adam

Pump your rear tires full of calcium and add a set of tire chains. The extra weight and addition of chains will really help in the snow. I have a Massey 265 with 750 lbs of calcium in each rear tire and it does great in snow without chains.

update...

put some chains on the tractor..and filled the tires with calcium...

tractor works great!!

cant get it stuck in any snow now!!!

thanks guys

also bought a new rock bucket from virnig...its awesome...

i am installing it this week...

glad i opted to keep the tractor

I use a case ,1845, with chains and a grapple bucket, Kind of pricey, But its an aw sum loader, Skidders for the most part dont work well on ice or snow without chains, the grapple buckets are a real back saver in the tree business you can handle long logs even whole trees 12" in diameter with ease they are great cleaning up the brush, and will move large or small chunks of wood like nothing Ive ever used, Kind of like operating a 7000 pound robot, Yea a LOT of fun too. If your thinkin about buying a skid steer you will need the axy hydraulics to run the grapple attachment

where exactly does that grapple bucket work from front or rear of the tractor can i use one in place of my backhoe setup? already have a bucket on the front,and am hauling over hilly terrain from the front of my property to the rear....and an easier way to trailer the loads off the ground into the trailer then 4 wheel the trailer to the rear is my next setup need.....really been looking into dump tailer's, too much handling makes the work rougher.......brains instead of Braun i say.

example of one style of grapple. Jerry, you should start your owe thread,

loaded rears and chains here, personal use only,
but a skidsteer is still better.
This is not my grapple,I have a NH TLB without a grapple
I downloaded these pictures from www.tractorbynet.com
Jerry if you want to buy, build, install, or research a grapple for that TLB you have that's a good place to start

Latest posts

Back