Best maul?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
What do you guys use?
I am looking for something sharp, well balanced, durable.
The usual hardware store stuff is pretty lo-tek.
Any suggestions?

I love my monster maul. That and the occasional use of a cheap 8 pound maul does it for me. Now that I'm used to the monster, the 8 pounder is too light.

Some folks here really like this beast:

attachment.php

Some discussion on it here:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=34201

I use a regular lo-tech 6 lb maul with a fiberglass handle. What I don't like about the Vario is the wooden handle, an expensive one that you have to special order. No going down to the hardware store for a quick replacement. Now put that out with a fiberglass handle and price it on par with a good regular maul and I'd have one.

Anyone use one of those Slide Hammer splitters? Seems the slide part would have to weigh a bunch to offset the speed you have swinging a maul.
11918_lg.gif

BlueRidgeMark said:
I love my monster maul. That and the occasional use of a cheap 8 pound maul does it for me. Now that I'm used to the monster, the 8 pounder is too light.

My thoughts exactly

I purchased a Fiskars splitting maul last year,

fiskars.jpg

I am extremely impressed with this unit, it cost me about $40 USD, but worth every penny. Very light, and I see no way that the handle could possibly be broken, its actually some type of light gauge metal.

JBFab said:
I purchased a Fiskars splitting maul last year,

fiskars.jpg

I am extremely impressed with this unit, it cost me about $40 USD, but worth every penny. Very light, and I see no way that the handle could possibly be broken, its actually some type of light gauge metal.

I have thier ax with is very light nice for taking with me in to the woods with my chainsaw, very sharp work well, I have let to see their maul, I would be very interested in seeing it. I use the standard hardware store 8 pound maul, I too like the idea behind the Vario but the wood handel is a big no no, make it fiberglass like Haywire Haywood said

I would like to try a monster maul but I can not find it locally, which means shipping it with tends to cost as much as the maul itself. I found a smaller 8 pound version locally but if I am going to buy one I want the big one.

Call me old fashioned

For past 6 years I have been using an old "12 pound" maul that I inherited from my grandpa. Well he called it a 12 pound so I assume the old ones may have some variations from the newer ones. I have only replaced the handle twice so I guess for the price I cant complain.

JUDGE1162 said:
I have thier ax with is very light nice for taking with me in to the woods with my chainsaw, very sharp work well, I have let to see their maul, I would be very interested in seeing it. I use the standard hardware store 8 pound maul, I too like the idea behind the Vario but the wood handel is a big no no, make it fiberglass like Haywire Haywood said

I would like to try a monster maul but I can not find it locally, which means shipping it with tends to cost as much as the maul itself. I found a smaller 8 pound version locally but if I am going to buy one I want the big one.

I've broken fiberglass handles as well as wood. Then again, I take my boy scouts cutting firewood to raise money for camp. They are harder on handles than beavers on willow trees. I dop like the feel of a good hickory handle better than fiberglass. If they would just hit the round (or wedge) with the head ...

I'd like to find an all-metal monster mall for them to use; however, it might be too heavy for some of them. The Scouts are actually most useful for forming a line to load and unload---13 and 14 year olds just aren't used to hard work (like splitting) for more than 10 min at a time. Now, back in the day...

Doctor Dave said:
I've broken fiberglass handles as well as wood. Then again, I take my boy scouts cutting firewood to raise money for camp. They are harder on handles than beavers on willow trees. I dop like the feel of a good hickory handle better than fiberglass. If they would just hit the round (or wedge) with the head ...

I'd like to find an all-metal monster mall for them to use; however, it might be too heavy for some of them. The Scouts are actually most useful for forming a line to load and unload---13 and 14 year olds just aren't used to hard work (like splitting) for more than 10 min at a time. Now, back in the day...

They do make smaller monster mauls, it seems like the only type I can find for sale around me, I have seen an 8 pound all metal monster maul (even with a short handel) which might be good for them, not sure if 8 pounds is to heavy but it has to be better then the 12 pound ones

I like my Timberwolf; the only problem is it's really heavy @ 400+lbs:hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously I have an old 10lb all metal maul that will bust anything a maul can bust, and then I have a 4lb maul(a Christmas present to my wife last year ;) she loves it). The 4lb maul I got at lowes or homedepot; it's got a plastic handle and is great for busting smaller stuff...

JUDGE1162 said:

Hey Judge, as you wish...

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12265

The HelkoTomahawk series. I'm looking to buy one soon myself!

Dr. Hackemoff said:

so what is the best one????(D) Tomahawk 1300G Universal Axe $53.99 is that the same as the one that BlueRidgeMark has but with an glass handle?
Dam I want to find an good AXE so how do you think that 12 pound monster maul works???

MS-310 said:
so what is the best one????(D) Tomahawk 1300G Universal Axe $53.99 is that the same as the one that BlueRidgeMark has but with an glass handle?
Dam I want to find an good AXE so how do you think that 12 pound monster maul works???

Careful, their website might be honked up. The big b@stard splitting axe is 2300 grams and $64.99. The picture doesn't match the description quite right.

I would guess that one would work as well or better than any standard eight pounder. We need a champion/volunteer to perform some comprehensive testing.

MS-310 said:
is that the same as the one that BlueRidgeMark has but with an glass handle?

Let me clarify - I don't have the Helio - RaisedByWolves does.

That does look like the right one, though. Same head, fiberglass handle. That's what I would like to get for the smaller stuff. It would be a luxury purchase for me at this point, though.

MS-310 said:

I got my monster from Iron & Oak. Bailey's sells one, too. I sure love mine. 30" handle is the only drawback. I'd like to try one in 36".

Either way, it hits with authority. Took a bit to get used to the weight, but I'm glad I did. I needed the exercise.

Iron & Oak has a small one, too, for kindling. Handy for my boys, but I'd like to find one in between - they could swing that pretty well, I think. Something like 6-8 pounds with a 24" handle.

Hmmm. They're a small outfit.... Maybe they'd make one...

Dr. Hackemoff said:

LOL, that was just what I was thinking!

So far Im having good luck with mine and it has taken a few shots to the "Over strike guard" with no Ill effects. I was disappointed to see that they had a new line out with fiberglass handles so soon after buying mine, but then I realised....... All their parts are interchangable! :clap:

The way the head mounts is supposed to distribute the load in a less damaging pattern than the traditional swedged handle.

But if I do break it, Ill upgrade the handle to the fiber model, Mostly cause I think it looks cool!:cool:

Do you think the overstrike protector will fit the fiberglass handle? It looks as if they don't come standard with them.

Hi, you can call me Ian, but Overkill is my middle name. :D

Mauls

I have 3 mauls I use regularly. A 16lb triangular head maul, and 2 smaller headed mauls, 1 10lb and 1 6lb. All are pretty good, I prefer the 16lber for everything. That baby will split anything under the sun in a couple wacks. I've had it since I was like 16, am 33 now. I've beaten so many blocks with it that I have to bend it back straight every now and again. You NEVER will worry about replacing this maul again. You'll have to check around where you can get them as I'm not sure. Hope this helps...

ciscoguy01, I see you have a lot of birch in that wagon, have you had good experience burning it, I see on the BTU tables they tend to be low value, I cut some for clearing work an plan to burn it, figured why waste it but was looking to see how you liked it.

Latest posts

Back