Best mini for the money on these two

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
dw1.jpg
dw2.jpg dw3.jpg

Ive never owned a mini skidsteer, have rented them a couple times. Done some thread reading, and I gather the majority of tree guys lean toward the sk650, although any mini is better than no mini at all...
Anyway, Im trying to choose between a 2002 tx420 1400 hours thats a little rough, but owner says doesnt burn any oil, motor nvr been rebuilt, tracks almost new. Says its ready to go...$5500. Im concerned I might have to be putting money into it though.
Or a 2009 sk650, same hours but not so beat up, runs good, for $12,000.
I can stretch the finances and get the 650, just not sure i want to, because I could use the price difference money and also get a dump bed trailer....
I do have a 16' dump truck that either will load thru the back doors. Of course the 650 would reach a little higher.
Anyway, just wondering which one is the best deal?
Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

t1.png t2.png t3.png t4.png

id get the dingo for now until u can afford a real nice machine and a dump trailer is really nice haha

I'm partial to the DW since I'm the happy owner of a sk650. The model that has replaced it (750) is a considerably more expensive machine.
No stand on operator platform on that dingo?
Does the sk650 come with a bucket and/or grapple?

I just bought a dw sk750 and I love the machine stand on platform and lifts anything I need it to, and then some with an extra guy on the back. but I try not to do that to much.

I'd go with dingo. Based on price. Get it, use it, make some money. I bought the same model earlier this summer. 02 tx420 ( hour meter was broke but in sure hours were high). It started burning oil a few months later. Brand New motor with install is roughly $3k. You would still be well under $12k & have a little cash for that dump trailer. And that's IF your motor starts to burn oil or anything.

Well, I decided to go ahead and go with the dingo and got it bought this afternoon. Didn't want to wait and loose out. I gave 5600 for it, it came with a snowplow, a set of forks, a bucket, a 3-tine ripper, and two different ride-on plates.
One lift cylinder is slowly drip-leaking.

Seems to run and work fine tho, I used it in a gravel pile some.

I figure if it'll get me by for 1-2 years, and if it doesn't get much into my wallet w breakdowns, I can keep watch for another good deal on a sk650, buy it, and sell the dingo.

I rent a full size bobcat when I need to from a friend for $25 an hour, so if I need something more powerful now and then...

Sure woulda like to have had the big 650 though...in a yr or two.

Thanks for all the help & advice.

Treecutterjr, u got the log grapple for yours?

Jace if you own that thing outright and it last you 2 years even if you put 3k back into it your gonna be ahead. Fix all the little bugs and run it till its a ball of rust. I dont think the 650 is gonna be worth the extra coin endless you can get a deal.

I'm very happy with my toro. Not a fan of Kohler. Seems like something is always failing on them and I've somehow got 3. What engine ?

Congrats on getting a mini, it will pay for itself quickly. Get a grapple as soon as you can too. I used forks for a year before getting my bmg... I shouldn't have waited.

8677efc794968d01f985b12b3a709a47.jpg

Only gate was on the backside...in the woods. So I just reached over the fence.

0b7af5a2197c58905f63a1c74cacbca1.jpg

Chestnut oak log, about 9' long x 20" diameter

28843d4851945db9a74175f16fc48e3b.jpg

Half hour and I'm headed home.

Sure looks handy. I'm thinkin for the meantime, Im going to try to use my log tongs. I may have to get off the mini every time I hook them arund a log, but thatll take all of about 30 seconds, and Im not ready to shell out over 2g on a bmg just yet, if I can hook a short chain to my log tong and serve the same purpose. Not nearly as smooth no doubt. Hardest part will be to get hooked exactly in the center to load w/out one end tipping up or down. Practically impossible w/out having another guy balance one side when loading.
I cant find a used bmg on the internet anywhere. Guess a guys gotta go new, and if he did find a used one he'd spend probly just pennys less.
Wheres the cheapest place to buy the bmg new?

I got mine from Top notch equipment, with all the attachment

http://www.topnotchequipment.com/catalog_items.asp?cat=8409-100656

Another online dealer is here:
http://compactequipmentstore.com/collections/branch-manager-attachments-1

Both are very good guys to work with.

Tongs will work for wood. Cinching rope around brush piles, to drag it, will work. 30 seconds doesn't seem a lot, but it adds up. Once you do get a grapple you will be amazed at how fast it is.

Video loading wood with a grapple

There are few other videos using the grapple on my youtube channels too.

I just bought a dw sk750 and I love the machine stand on platform and lifts anything I need it to, and then some with an extra guy on the back. but I try not to do that to much.
I just messaged you about selling my vermeer but then seen this. Congrats on your mini you will love it!

Back