Best muffler mod ever?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfromaz1977

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just had to share this. A coworker came to me yesterday and told me he was offered a Husky saw to buy but wasn't sure what it was. Said the sticker on the pull start was messed up and only the first and last number were there. A 3 and then a 1 with the middle number torn off. I said it was probably a 371 but needed to see pics or the saw to be sure. So he brings the saw in the next morning for me to look at and it is very dirty and in rough shape. As I was looking it over I finally look at the front of the saw and see the muffler. Bout fell over laughing. I have never seen a muff mod quite like this before. You can actually see the piston and cylinder very well through the hole in it which doesn't look too bad. No scoring but some wear and carbon. The guy selling it wants $300 for it. I said it wasn't worth that. Maybe $200 to $225 if he wanted a fixer upper. What you all think?

attachment.php

What, no safety chain?? Not gonna lie, just a little disappointed.

I'd like to find me some of those square drill bits. :)

If I see something really buggered like that I usually want a deeper inspection because it's hard to know what else they worked on...

LOL, looks like he banged a Phillips head screwdriver through it.

We had a "faller" who used to patronize our shop and he did just exactly that- hammered a scrench through the front of his mufflers while they were still on the saw. Obviously he wasn't much of a faller, more of a wanna-be type. We charged him full list price on 066 & 046 mufflers plus an hour labor each saw even though it only took us about 10 minutes. This was because the year before, he stole a new Carhartt jacket out of our shop though we couldn't ever bring charges on him.

That muffler looks a bit on the rough side. The closer I could get the seller to $150-$200, the better I would feel. And yes, I would almost bet that a phillips screwdriver was used.

Just had to share this. A coworker came to me yesterday and told me he was offered a Husky saw to buy but wasn't sure what it was. Said the sticker on the pull start was messed up and only the first and last number were there. A 3 and then a 1 with the middle number torn off. I said it was probably a 371 but needed to see pics or the saw to be sure. So he brings the saw in the next morning for me to look at and it is very dirty and in rough shape. As I was looking it over I finally look at the front of the saw and see the muffler. Bout fell over laughing. I have never seen a muff mod quite like this before. You can actually see the piston and cylinder very well through the hole in it which doesn't look too bad. No scoring but some wear and carbon. The guy selling it wants $300 for it. I said it wasn't worth that. Maybe $200 to $225 if he wanted a fixer upper. What you all think?

attachment.php

Orange County Choppers??

We had a "faller" who used to patronize our shop and he did just exactly that- hammered a scrench through the front of his mufflers while they were still on the saw. Obviously he wasn't much of a faller, more of a wanna-be type. We charged him full list price on 066 & 046 mufflers plus an hour labor each saw even though it only took us about 10 minutes. This was because the year before, he stole a new Carhartt jacket out of our shop though we couldn't ever bring charges on him.

Crappy. Don't cha just love customers like that.

The guy may have 'ported' it too. He probably switched from a phillips screwdriver to a wood chisel for the port work.

Back