Worth of a lightly used 400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlPotlicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would you guys pay for a lightly used (maybe 6 tanks) 400C from pics? He said he used it to cut up some firewood and his summer lawn mower helper used it twice but did cut into the ground with it:dumb2:. owner bought it a year ago and said the oiler never ran well, He is thinking $6- $700 since he bought it for $987 last yr. I called my local dealer to see what they would take on trade in, but like any smart person they like to go over the saw first and wouldn't give me a price, I was thinking $500. from the pics it looks new🤔

What would you guys pay for a lightly used (maybe 6 tanks) 400C from pics? He said he used it to cut up some firewood and his summer lawn mower helper used it twice but did cut into the ground with it:dumb2:. owner bought it a year ago and said the oiler never ran well, He is thinking $6- $700 since he bought it for $987 last yr. I called my local dealer to see what they would take on trade in, but like any smart person they like to go over the saw first and wouldn't give me a price, I was thinking $500. from the pics it looks new🤔
Used is running 700-750 here.

I sold a 10yo ms290 a few years ago for nearly what I paid. During covid when saws were hard to get. The 400c is a great saw, but you can get them easily at a dealer, full warranty, assurance that it is going to run, etc.

I'd expect 30% off and it needs to look and operate like new.

I bought my 400c for $800, no bar or chain included.

I'd have him or you pull the muffler and check piston and cylinder only takes 1 tank of straight gas to wreck a new saw. If thats good oiler could be as simple as he doesn't know he can adjust it or dirty plugged oil hole. As far as hitting the dirt we've all done it worst case a new chain. It would have to be 50 to 60 percent of new to make me interested.

I just paid $700 CAD (= $523 USD) 2 days ago for a used 400. I could not be happier with the saw. Even if I had to dump a new piston and sleeve in it (which I don't), I would still say the saw is worth it. I'm really happy with the saw.

It’s worth likely $8-900 now since out the door it’s almost a $1200 saw new. The oiler sucks on all of them, not just his. A 461r control bolt helps. Combine that with the 461r pump piston and it will put out about double. I’d pay $600 instantly if he’d take it

Its got to be worth 700.00 or more.

I offered Him $550 for it before Christmas vacation, He said $600. I said OK. but now he thinks he will see what he can get for it trading it in on a 500i. I did take the muffler off and the exhaust side of piston looked good, but the intake side of the cylinder looked scratched, so I am glad he is thinking about trying to trade it in. unfortunately I didn't get pics as my phone crapped out. crazy how much phones have gone up since I bought my last one 9 yrs ago lol.

Having run mine for a week with a 20" bar, I have to say I continue to be happy. It buries the bar through 25" maple without slowing down. I could not be happier. The oiler seems fine for a bar this size. In general, the biggest wood (20"-30") that I might cut will be softwood. I can see this saw running a 20" bar as having no problem with them.

I offered Him $550 for it before Christmas vacation, He said $600. I said OK. but now he thinks he will see what he can get for it trading it in on a 500i. I did take the muffler off and the exhaust side of piston looked good, but the intake side of the cylinder looked scratched, so I am glad he is thinking about trying to trade it in. unfortunately I didn't get pics as my phone crapped out. crazy how much phones have gone up since I bought my last one 9 yrs ago lol.
They gave me a free one. 1200 worth and no contract or I was leaving. They want your business now. The phone is a bonus to them if you pay for it. It's network locked and insured for 8$ a month. No contract.

Having run mine for a week with a 20" bar, I have to say I continue to be happy. It buries the bar through 25" maple without slowing down. I could not be happier. The oiler seems fine for a bar this size. In general, the biggest wood (20"-30") that I might cut will be softwood. I can see this saw running a 20" bar as having no problem with them.
he was complaining about it not oiling, well when it gets buried in the ground and the oil hole are clogged, I can see why it doesn't oil lol. it was so dull that the bottom of the bar is burnt too.

he tried
They gave me a free one. 1200 worth and no contract or I was leaving. They want your business now. The phone is a bonus to them if you pay for it. It's network locked and insured for 8$ a month. No contract.
He tried getting me to be able to get a "free" phone if I traded in my old phone, the catch was they would add another line, and my phone bill was going to go up $30.00 bucks a month. I said no, I'll buy it out right. funny how after all that time dickering with him, he came back and said they are all out of the phones, need to order it for you.

Felled, limbed, hauled out and bucked three 15" trees today. That MS400 was a pleasure to run - all in, with most of the wood now waiting by my splitter, the job took 3 hours - including PPE, gearing up, fueling up and putting everything away. Temp was about -5C (or about 23F).

Latest posts

Back