Ms 400 C am I going to be disappointed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olddude

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My shop burned down taking along with it pretty much everything I oaned. I lost 5 Stihl saws and yesterday I went out to find a replacement for my 044. I mainly cut firewood and a lot of it. I had that 044 for almost 30 years and it was as good as it was the day I bought it. The only thing I ever did to it was replace the oil and gas caps a couple times, a couple spark plugs and chains and bars. That thing was rock solid and it really broke my heart to see it in the floor burned into a pile of ash.
I was told the ms 440 was about the same size and I went out looking for one. Nobody had one and the last place I went to sold me this ms400c. I could tell right off that it was not the same it just looked a little light. I haven't used it yet but will soon and I have heard a few bad tales about it. I asked the guy I got it from if this saw would last as long as the 044 did and he finally said probably not which was what I was thinking too. I probably should have put a little bit more thought into it before I went out to buy a saw but that is to late now. I'm just wondering what you guys thoughts are.
I also need to replace 2 of the ms261's, a 031 and a light weight ms 271. Maybe you can share some thought's there also. I'll probably only replace the 261's.

@olddude. Sorry to hear about your fire. I have the 400 and have been using it pretty hard. No issues so far. A 044 it ain't. The 462 which I also have would probably be closer to the 044 in power. Give the 400 7-10 tanks of fuel through it to run a peak performance. Good luck. FS.
EDIT. The 261 makes a good partner to the 400. I run that as much as my 400. I put the outside spikes on both of mine.

Gosh. That sucks about your shop.

As you know, the 044/MS440 was a fantastic saw. Especially, in the durable department.

The Mtronic in the 400 is pretty well proven; no one knows about the mag piston.

I do remember when Japanese cars first came to the US. People thought they were tinny and couldn't last. But, 200k miles later, many were still on the road with original rings and valves. That was at a time when US V8s often needed valve jobs at <150k.

Anyway, that is to say...the MS400 is new and who knows. But, thinking about the 400 after running it a bunch, and finding an 044, will be easier than it is now.

If I were you, I would keep an eye open for a local 044/MS440. And, go buy a new MS261.

Let us know how the 400 works out.

I am in the market for an 044, too.

Roy

Gosh. That sucks about your shop.

As you know, the 044/MS440 was a fantastic saw. Especially, in the durable department.

The Mtronic in the 400 is pretty well proven; no one knows about the mag piston.

I do remember when Japanese cars first came to the US. People thought they were tinny and couldn't last. But, 200k miles later, many were still on the road with original rings and valves. That was at a time when US V8s often needed valve jobs at <150k.

Anyway, that is to say...the MS400 is new and who knows. But, thinking about the 400 after running it a bunch, and finding an 044, will be easier than it is now.

If I were you, I would keep an eye open for a local 044/MS440. And, go buy a new MS261.

Let us know how the 400 works out.

I am in the market for an 044, too.

Roy
The guy told me that they were not making the 440 anymore. That's what I went out looking for but no one had one.

I don't know about other people, but I'm not getting younger or stronger. If I could only have one saw, it wouldn't be my 500i or my 046, it would be the 400c.

Time will tell if the magnesium piston holds up, but Stihl has been very reliable for me so I'd hope it would, especially for homeowner use.

The 400c also makes for a great 3 saw plan with the 261 and a 661.

The guy told me that they were not making the 440 anymore. That's what I went out looking for but no one had one.
That is right...no more new 440 or 441.

But, they reduced the displacement of the 046/460 line of saws, and now the MS462 is close to the displacement of the 044.

They still make the MS462 and MS462CM. Both are 72.2 cc saws with the 462 having an old-school carb and the 462CM having the electronic-self-adjusting carb (Mtronic).

Roy

I’ve never heard a 271 called light weight. It’s heavier than a 261 with less power. It is a reliable saw, my best friend has had one for over 10 years. It’s heavy and slow to me but I run pro saws. Everything I’ve seen about the 400 is positive but it’s not the same as an 044. The 462 as mentioned above is the current equivalent in their line up. I love my 462, I would buy a 400 if I didn’t have the 462.

Actually I’ve read on here some complaints about the 400s oiler when running a 24/25 bar so not all positive I guess but seems well liked otherwise. Sucks about your shop too, forgot to say that I’m my other post. Good luck man.

I know the purpose, but when do you sacrifice longevity for weight? It’s looks fine but has me wondering how long it’ll hold up.

For typical homeowner use? Probably a long time.

But I noticed something interesting. Stihl literature talks about the 400 as part of the professional series, but it's not listed on the pro saws page:

https://www.stihlusa.com/professional/chainsaws/
Maybe that's just due to availability currently, but part of me wonders if they're not promoting it yet because the new build construction doesn't yet have the proven pedigree.

I’ve never heard a 271 called light weight. It’s heavier than a 261 with less power. It is a reliable saw, my best friend has had one for over 10 years. It’s heavy and slow to me but I run pro saws. Everything I’ve seen about the 400 is positive but it’s not the same as an 044. The 462 as mentioned above is the current equivalent in their line up. I love my 462, I would buy a 400 if I didn’t have the 462.
Ya hard to justify if you already have the 462.

I guess if you had a 10mm 044, the 400 might not be quite the same, but I've got a couple of 12mm 044s and a 400...the 400 is just a better all-around saw than the 044s. Stock, they had similar power. The 400 kills it on air filtration, weight, and AV.

The only thing that I felt was lacking with the 400 was the oiler. I ended up swapping in 461R oiler guts and it probably oils better than the 044s now. I also put a wrap handle kit on mine, so it now has an aluminum handle and the wide clutch cover...although, I really don't think plastic handles are much of an issue. My 044s haven't gotten much use since I acquired the 400(and later the 500.)

Latest posts

Back