Best Penetrating Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi fellows,

In your opinion what's the best penetrating oil for soaking rusty parts in? I need to soak a few things so the kind in spray cans like the PB I normally use are probably not the best.

Thanks in advance!

ATF and acetone works really well for penetrating oil. It can wreck paint though, so be careful where you use it. Also, you have to look up what kind of plastic you can put the acetone in. It sounds like the parts you have might be removed already, so diesel or kerosene would be a cheap way to fill a soaking container.

Kano Kriol works well and it is usually available in gal cans in most gun shops. Best I have ever used is Howes Lubricator but it is tough to find. Website lists it as available in gallon cans.

Another vote for Kroil. Been wrenching as a hobby for 30+ years, lots of old rusty musclecars. PB is better than WD40, but not by much. Then 50/50 ATF and acetone. And Kroil is the best, in my opinion.

That's for freeing up stuck fasteners. Don't forget that tool selection is just as important -- don't use 12 point stuff unless you have to. Get an impact screwdriver. And treat yourself to a Bahco ratcheting screwdriver with a kung-fu grip (straight or pistol grip at the push of a button). You can thank me later.

If I'm soaking something to help with grease, grime, etc, I'll drop it in the parts washer for a few hours or a few days. Diesel is what I have in there now, but prefer mineral spirits.

If you are just trying to remove rust, I find that Evapo-Rust works rather well and much less expensive (<$30 a gallon) than Kroil. I recently saved six big bars with Evapo-Rust that were rusted so badly that the sprocket noses were frozen and the whole bar was orange. The former owner gave them to me. After being left in the rain for months, they are now back in service.

I've also saved a few rusted saw chains with common white vinegar, soaked 24 hours or so, but Evapo-Rust is faster and less damaging to chrome.

Acetone is a amazing stuff as reported above. I've also saved expensive paint brushes with it that were dried hard as bricks. It also reminds me of model airplane fuel, bringing back lots of memories. Who could ever forget Fox engines?

If Philbert comes along here, no doubt he will have some more ideas.

Thank you all!

This is actually to remove a stuck choke tube from my shotgun. Darn thing got wet duck hunting and I forgot to oil the tube when I cleaned the rest of the gun.

I need to get the modified tube out so I can put the extra full in for turkey hunting.
Interesting chainsaw post, to say the least. I guess we cover all the bases.

I'm currently using Sea Foam's Deep Creep and really like it.
I've used Sea Foam motor treatment but never Deep Creep. I just added that to my list of chemicals to look for. It can't be more expensive than Kroil. Heckuva good brand name for a product. That will sell it even if it fails. Marketing never ceases to amaze me.

I've used Sea Foam motor treatment but never Deep Creep. I just added that to my list of chemicals to look for. It can't be more expensive than Kroil. Heckuva good brand name for a product. That will sell it even if it fails. Marketing never ceases to amaze me.

Can't say about price as I don't remember and my reference would be Kanuckistan Pesos anyway. It's not that expensive though.

Latest posts

Back