Best pitch to landscapers & tree experts for providing stump grinding services???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinpa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just bought a new stump grinder and have been busy, but not busy enough by my standards.

I am wondering if anyone has a semi-successful pitch to convince landscapers to consider/use your services? I KNOW getting stumps out of the yards they cut will save them time, which equals more production time for them which in turn equals $ in their pockets over the long haul!

Also, I am wondering how to convince the tree guys that may or may not have a grinder to throw me work they maybe do not want? I've spoken with 3 that I know and all said sure, I'll throw you what I am not interested in... but only 1 has so far. I am not feeling confident about the other 2 giving me anything. I know these guys don't really 'chase' the 1 & 2 small stump jobs which is what I am more than willing to take. They mostly have huge machines and grind stumps while they are onsite taking trees down.

I don't do any of the services that these folks would provide, nor do I want to. I just want to convince them I am here to 'help' them and possibly squeak a modest living out of it. There is absolutely NO WAY I would be able to take any work away from them at all. I only want to grind stumps, give good customer service and feed the family.

I’m just looking for some points to mull on as I muddle my way through this startup phase. Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone.

I just bought a new stump grinder and have been busy, but not busy enough by my standards.

I am wondering if anyone has a semi-successful pitch to convince landscapers to consider/use your services? I KNOW getting stumps out of the yards they cut will save them time, which equals more production time for them which in turn equals $ in their pockets over the long haul!

Also, I am wondering how to convince the tree guys that may or may not have a grinder to throw me work they maybe do not want? I've spoken with 3 that I know and all said sure, I'll throw you what I am not interested in... but only 1 has so far. I am not feeling confident about the other 2 giving me anything. I know these guys don't really 'chase' the 1 & 2 small stump jobs which is what I am more than willing to take. They mostly have huge machines and grind stumps while they are onsite taking trees down.

I don't do any of the services that these folks would provide, nor do I want to. I just want to convince them I am here to 'help' them and possibly squeak a modest living out of it. There is absolutely NO WAY I would be able to take any work away from them at all. I only want to grind stumps, give good customer service and feed the family.

I’m just looking for some points to mull on as I muddle my way through this startup phase. Thanks in advance!

The first thing would be prove to them that you are Professional, Dependable, Safe and WILL NOT TARNISH THEIR REPUTATION, next would be your pricing as to be reasonable.

Hi everyone.

Best pitch would be to give them a percentage of your profits like 10 percent.

Offering a finders fee seems pretty standard practice stateside, but it's almost unheard of hear in aus, and the practice just doesnt rest easy with me.

I'd say offer reasonable pricing, but above all - turn up when you say you will, do a grind to the level the guy requested for the price, and cleanup properly. I used to farm out all my stumps and went through a few guys over the years. It was a pretty sweet deal for them - I cut my stumps real low, mark them so they know what to find, and then they can come and grind them and decide what to charge me after they finish. Can't get much fairer than that! Saved them time coming out to quote, and let them charge what was a fair price for the job. One by one, they all burnt me eventually.... not turning up, not grinding to the depth requested (sometimes it's just taking the top off, sometimes the customer needs a deep grind), and not cleaning up. Basically making me look like an ass.

Eventually I bought my own stump grinder. I make no money on stumps really, I just get one of my guys to grind the stump out with my machine, and do it at cost. My business is trees, not stumps. Btu I have to do the stumps or I wont get the trees.

Contact a bunch of related trades - gardeners, plumbers, concreters, builders, landscapers etc, those guys are often having to deal with stumps and roots. Let them know that you turn up promptly and give good rates to trades. You'll get work and referals so long as you do honest work.

Shaun

Hi, I am the guy that started this thread. I bought a 'mid' sized Rayco. It's the 1635, track unit. 35" wide, so I can fit through a 36" gate. I wish it was a mega hp diesel unit with a monster 70" swing, but it is not. Oh well, everyone has to start somewhere, right?

I think the best pitch to make to landscapers and tree guys would be " I have a nice stump grinder for sale" but good luck to you and yer new game of limbo. Just don't go making friends with anybody cause then you really will starve.

The first year I had my stump grinder (before the novelty wore off), I ran an itsy bitsy ad in the local weekly paper along the lines of: "Rid Your Yard of Unwanted Stumps"
Call ### #### for a free estimate

Got enough calls to almost make it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Back