Best power to weight ratio?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been asked as of late, but when it comes to current line-up of Stihl chainsaws, which one is thought to be the best, as far as power to weight ratio goes?

And, please don't throw in a Husky, Echo, Shindaiwa, or any other brand/model. You'll just muddy the waters.

OP asked for Power to Weight ratio, not Weight to Power ratio. He also wanted only Stihl numbers for current models. The 660 and 661 are the two best. I guess the MS 880 is just plain too heavy for what power it delivers. Stihl should have trimmed a pound or so off the 880. Instead, they made it heavier than the 084.

I have to wonder if the 064 AV might actually beat the 660 here, but OP wanted current new models available.

Power to weight and weight to power are inversely proportionate and essentially the same, so...?
My math teacher would have given me a zero had I not supplied the reciprocal. He was a gorilla when it came to accuracy, kind of like the way some saw manufacturers make their parts, and I guess that discipline carried over to my programming career. One syntax mistake in a computer program and you are toast. Best thing I've done so far is to stop programming computers and start repairing chainsaws and delivering firewood.

Note the general trend here. The bigger saws deliver more power per pound of weight until you reach the MS 880. The clam shell engines tend to be heavy dogs, as expected.

I don't know if this has been asked as of late, but when it comes to current line-up of Stihl chainsaws, which one is thought to be the best, as far as power to weight ratio goes?

And, please don't throw in a Husky, Echo, Shindaiwa, or any other brand/model. You'll just muddy the waters.
Power to weight?

stihl babe.jpg

eDIjmNS.jpg

I could have swore she had a chainsaw with her.................:innocent:

Latest posts

Back