Best saw build under $1000 for firewood cutting saw enthusiast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the cons to the 6400 with big borr upgrade? Do you loose compression release? I'm in the Midwest do cutting hardwood some dry takes a lot of oil. I have a new cs2250 which is great on smaller stuff but lacks the power for older growth and dry hardwood, also the oiler doesn't keep up and the saw lacks power. It does great on cherry and smaller stuff, tops, etc, but can't take on an older oak or hickory. Gotta admit I like the looks of the blue saw called my first hd they have a 5600 for $280

Don't think there's really any cons to putting big bore on 6400, especially if you use OEM parts. The 6400 is a little heavy for a 64cc saw, but with bbk it's just right for a 79cc/85cc saw. Oh, and it'll still have compression release.

It's undoubtedly one of the best bangs for buck going right now.

Well called around and check online at all the home depots within a 2 hour drive and nobody has the 6400, not seeing those online either so it's kind of out at this point, found a EA5600F for $280 I think was closest, nobody else has them, I"m going to keep my eyes open but it appears finding one of those for sub $300 is going to be difficult.

Are replacement parts easily acquired? Any dealers local, or will you be waiting for parts? That's for a used saw run by who knows who, that 390 is new and can also be ported. Not every firewood cutter needs a ported saw.
No Husky or stihl dealers around me ever have what I need in stock, so I end up ordering it anyway. I can get Dolmar parts from New York quicker than I can from my local dealer.

No Husky or stihl dealers around me ever have what I need in stock, so I end up ordering it anyway. I can get Dolmar parts from New York quicker than I can from my local dealer.

Ya my Stihl dealer doesn't have everything in stock either, so gotta wait.

I recently found out a local New Holland tractor dealer sells full line of Makita saws including full service and any part available. So poke around, you never know....

Get one of Dan's 390XPs (2 left) for $825 shipped in the Tradin' Post. Another hundred and change you can have a Tsumara 24 inch bar and H47 chain. Spend the rest on oil n gas.

I second this suggestion.

The OP, didn't specify what kind of wood, or just how big he expects to cut, but a 28-32" B&C should be fine, I have a 36" running .404/.063 skip on mine, I bucked a 34" Ponderosa into firewood rounds, with my 390XP, it handled the 36" just fine in softwood, and cleared mounds of chips without a hiccup

As I mentioned in Dan's AD, he is a Proven Reputable seller

Doug :cheers:

My advice,

Spring is upon us. Look for a GTG on this site (or the forbidden one) and try a few saws, ported and stock.

Personal preference plays a huge role in picking a saw, and you guessed it, only you will know that.

A lot depends on what size you are cutting most, and what you will need to cut on occasion. A big saw is a one saw plan, but I wouldn’t want to limb with a 395 all day, that’s for sure.

FWIW, I’m firewood only and use a ported 395 to cut any rounds over 28”. I could use a smaller saw, but the 395 allows me to use 404 and cut almost all day on one chain with a 36” bar. Then I noodle the 36-48” rounds with an 036/044 hybrid or 462. Limbing is the job of a 261 Stihl, but the 036 or 462 could take the place if it if needed. Just an example for you, YMMV.

Back