THANKS TO EVERYONE from JCool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCool

Reaction score
Geez guys! What can I say!
A big thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me, and for the warm welcome.

I sincerely apologize for not getting back to ya’ll sooner than now. I tried to reply to with a thank you the other night but my modem gave up. Got a new one now. Oh, I’m in Tasmania, by the way; a nice part of the world. I also forgot to tell you that I have only had one old Stihl saw and it started having problems. I still call myself a bit of a ‘Greenhorn’ when it comes to chainsaws.

I looked at chainsaws the other day. Looked at Makita (Dolmar rebranded), Stihl, Huskys. Couldn’t locate an Echo or Dolmar specific dealer here, but I looked at them on-line. Love the Echo 5 year warranty. I was considering something around the 50 - 60cc mark for cutting mostly hardwood. I was quite smitten with the Makita DCS6401. I had to re-do my budget for this saw so I’m thinking now of something around the AU$600 - $800 mark. Bit of a step-down from my previous budget, I know but need to save the money for something else. Also, out of curiosity, I priced the higher-end Makitas (though out of my price range now); Makita7301 AU $960. Makita 7901 (power head only) AU $1050. Genuine prices from a Makita dealer. Reckon I could negotiate the price down a bit, but as I said, just a little out of my price range now, and I don’t really need all that power.

Bushmans … You asked me a few questions:
1) Detailed intentions for this saw? For cutting down small / medium trees (and tall poppies) clearing and general type farm work … and for waving around in crowded cinemas so I can get a seat.
2) Am I selling? Only firewood. : p Mainly for myself, and a few friends but may consider selling on a small commercial scale… (firewood, that is) after I have my cataracts removed : )
3) Hours per week and how many cords per year? Approx 12-18 hours per week through Winter, cutting circa 70 ton per year (if not a little more).
4)What color shoes I have? Don’t wear ‘em; I love the feeling of mud and cow sh** between m’ toes. I’m a happy chappy when I feel the squish!

Stihlman441 …You are so right when you say Aussies are getting ripped off. I looked at some of the US prices some of the chainsaws the members suggested and I couldn’t believe the difference in price. Eg. MS 362 $AU 1499. MS441 US $850 / AU $1749. MS290 US $375 / AU $979. Makita DCS 6401 US $500 - $600 / AU $750 - $1100. Talk about Rip-Off!!! I am happy to buy from the US and have it shipped. Not worried about losing warranty on a US$300-$400 priced saw but am a little apprehensive about losing it on something of much higher price, but would consider taking the gamble if I saved quiet a lot of money and if it was a popular well-regarded saw. Stihlman, where in the US do you buy your chainsaws and how much does shipping cost? Are you able to buy the Stihl and Husky saws from the US and still get them much cheaper than buying them in Oz? or do you buy other brands of saws? Who is the courier for your shipment ie; FedX, UPS, US Postal Service. I would prefer an insured shipment via US postal Service. I know the other mobs can be expensive with hidden costs.

So I’m now weighing up my options regarding the saw. Will get back to you and post which way I go, ie; buy here in Oz or buy from the US, and also which brand / model I decided on. Sorry about the long post.

Cheers
JCool

Back