Best saw build under $1000 for firewood cutting saw enthusiast?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it seems to me that you are not a Stihl fan, and that's perfectly OK.
I am not a Husky fan, and that's OK too.

From wha I have read, the 372XP is a really good saw. You can ge t a brand new one for 800-900 bucks and have a couple bucks left over for some chains and oil.

Why not do that?

I've got a brand new never gassed 372 XTorq, nice saw, but i am thinking of selling after running the 572, but the 7900 build would be more interesting than buying a new saw, you can beatup HD a bit on price, maybe 10% off, get the big bore kit and also the older style muffler or gut out the choked up one it came with (if a 6401), and then you could slay the other 70cc saws out there. Depends on if you want a new saw or one you can say you built yourself. The 6401 will already have enough guts to run for a while before your parts come in, so you can have before and after experience. If you like the big block feel and big block idle noise, and big block weight, and big brick size shape, tough to beat the old 288xp, many us went thru that phase already but if you have not, then its a fun saw to have, but for daily use the newer ones are better, all depends on your age, if you've had slipped discs in your back, white knuckle tingling in your fingers before, etc. ha ha

AND THE WINNER IS:

McCulloch Timberbear!

Gonna run this one for a little while longer why not been maintaining it for over 20 years. Gonna be nice to the old girl and mix up some 40:1 I think that gives it even a little more torque that it already has;-)

:) sorry guys:) Feel like the coke and pepsi wars are getting out of hand and don't like seeing folks butt hurt if I don't want to buy the saw they have for sale and wasn't trying to get solicitations with the creation of it. Again that 660 Gary built looked nice but with no price and all those upgrades I just figured it would be pricey, is why I didn't call. I didn't say anything until I was flamed for not responding to a solicitation I wasn't interested in. Maybe his plug on this thread got the saw sold? Still haven't heard a price.

Final thoughts gonna shop and look over a few Husky's also plan on up building a 6400(this is what I would prefer at this time but it's going to take some time to accomplish). I imagine I'll wind up with a few saws. Really liked my CS2250S until I got into bigger stuff the higher RPM's plus anemic oiler doesn't let it function in bigger timber. It'll still be my go to for anything within it's design limits. Timberbear for today, will see what tomorrow brings.

22 pounds as she sits on my postage scales.
IMG_20200305_085303.jpg

Still haven't heard a price.
Started to not tell you ! But I decided to let you know that I gave $700.00 shipped ! But I have bought other saws from Gary and know how anal he is on building a saw. He has over $400 in the saw. He was originally asking $850 shipped which for a no longer made 660 in that shape I would have paid gladly ! Because of friendships made on AS and loyalty of buying before from him ,this is the type of man he is! Enjoy your "timber bear" !

Started to not tell you ! But I decided to let you know that I gave $700.00 shipped ! But I have bought other saws from Gary and know how anal he is on building a saw. He has over $400 in the saw. He was originally asking $850 shipped which for a no longer made 660 in that shape I would have paid gladly ! Because of friendships made on AS and loyalty of buying before from him ,this is the type of man he is! Enjoy your "timber bear" !
Wasn'tn really NOHB in my .02 Slick ! $700 Shipped ! That was a very reasonable price IMO. download (2).jpgNo brainer!

Well took the old bear out for a run wound up pinching the bar a little then got winded trying to restart..... Went and visited a local dealer, he had all the huskys I had been looking at online, came home with something orange, that I'm VERY proud of. Cuts like a scalded dog, starts easy, more loads of power. Buried it 24" deep in some very hard oak and it cut like a beast. It's 2 pounds lighter dressed out with a longer bar than the old mac to boot!

Attachments

• IMG_20200305_172719.jpg
    IMG_20200305_172719.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 41
I know you are joking, but:
View attachment 803494
That's how the stihls usually look when I get done throwing chip with the huskys:chainsaw:.
What did I miss? What does having a conversation on the phone have to do with pressure?
That's why I only text you now, to much pressure :laugh:.
372's are pretty much the benchmark by which all other saws are judged. Pick up a nice used and and try it out. If it's not what you want, they're easy to resell.
Got one you're selling :innocent:.
I have bought 3 saws from Gary. Everyone was more than expected..
At least you got this one at a discount:laughing:.
Well took the old bear out for a run wound up pinching the bar a little then got winded trying to restart..... Went and visited a local dealer, he had all the huskys I had been looking at online, came home with something orange, that I'm VERY proud of. Cuts like a scalded dog, starts easy, more loads of power. Buried it 24" deep in some very hard oak and it cut like a beast. It's 2 pounds lighter dressed out with a longer bar than the old mac to boot!
Congrats, did you get it for under 1k?

I went slightly over budget but feel it was coin well spent, managed to keep the other one going for god knows how long figure it will last a while. I'm amazed at how well balanced the engine feels at high rpms can't feel any noticable vibration. I think vibes are hard on the hands over time already have enough arthritis. It's had plenty of power for the hardwood and the oiler keeps the chain cool enough while blazing threw this old growth stuff. Very impressed with the machine it definitely has care put into the engineering.

That's how the stihls usually look when I get done throwing chip with the huskys:chainsaw:.

That's why I only text you now, to much pressure :laugh:.

Got one you're selling :innocent:.

At least you got this one at a discount:laughing:.

Congrats, did you get it for under 1k?

Selling would be wise. Wife said if I buy another one she's using it to chop my nuts off.

Beautiful saw!!!! Congrats.
What are the differences between the 372 and 572?

Back