best saw for climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So do you guys think the 201 is as good as the 200t?... Better?... Am looking at getting one soon, a lightly used 200 is more than a brand new 201, at least what I've seen.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I have no opinion on the 201 never ran one. I do get some terrible feedback from guys who have bought them and stated "it just don't have the power of the ol' 200". I'd say most of it lies in the muffler restrictions. They say the economy is better on the new saw.

I've run a 16" bar on my 200 when needed and it is a bit nose heavy. Most of the time I run a standard 14'' ES Stihl bar, 0.050 rail with 3/8" low pro Oregon or Stihl chain. I do find that a half skip chain cuts faster in hardwood like black walnut. I will say that narrow 0.043 rail chain does cut faster but eats up sprockets. I might try a 14" light bar and see if it makes any difference or just drop it down to a 12". I do have a 10" sitting there and I'm sure the cuts will be faster with a trade off in balance. I've run 190 series Stihls, Echo and others top handles. They just don't have the nuts of the 200 IMO.

I think a nice winter project will be to rebuild a 200 and see just how much grunt can be had from it. Buy what you can afford and feels good in your hand.

Oh btw use low kick back chain if your just starting out up there, much safer for you.

Last edited:
Used a 201 for the first time yesterday. Seemed kind of doggy but I'll put a few tanks of fuel through it before I pass judgement. It's a replacement for a 200T that was about 4 years old. That saw ran good up till a couple weeks ago and it started acting like it had an air leak. Stihl dealer charged me 80 bucks and said no air leak. Ran badly on Sat. so I took it out of service and put it on ebay where it's at $200+ last time I looked. So a saw that does at least 70% of the work on any removal lasted 4 years with no problems at all and cost me less than $100 per year to own. I don't own another piece of power equipment that comes close to that kind of performance.
Phil

Thanks for the link Kenjax tree, I hadn't seen that thread. Great stuff!

No problem. I have a 200t and 201t and they're about dead even now with MM it just takes a little more to get the 201t opened up. Everyone seems to hate the 201t but i like it its not a bad saw at all its different from the 200t but its not bad at all once its opened up, with that said if you can get a 200t jump on it but don't hesitate to get a 201t. Just my 2 cents.

201T is a good saw for sure. Modify the muffler and pull that ridiculous limiter on the high side screw and it is a new saw. Like all the newer saws it takes a bunch of tanks to see a good change.

So I went to my local stihl dealer today to buy myself a new 201t. After conversations with you all and reading Brads thread on the 201t, I decided, sounds good. So I walk in to the dealer and what sits in front of me.......could it be!!!....a brand new 200t sitting on the shelf. Well 2 brand new ones actually, but I only brought one home.

Awesome!! They've been gone for a year around here. Now pull the spark screen and tune it a little richer and you're all set. You lucky MFer:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back