Best Smelling Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning - mine all seems to smell of money and I love it!

Splitting - you guys have it pretty well covered. Cherry, walnut, cedar, sassafras, and even pine I like.

I like the smell of burning ash bark. Something about it. I save all the bark that falls off the round as kindling and it burns like a sparkler and smells great!

I am one of those that happens to like the smell of fresh split oak, cedar also. Nothing beats burning spruce in a firepit.

Cedar smells great but I don't use it much, its about like burning styrofoam. Brush piles of with lots of spruce and cedar branches smells better then the actual wood.

I love the smell of cedar when wood working, when splitting the smell fresh Beech always gets me.

Unburned: aromatic cedar or just about anything in the juniper family.

Burning: apple

Freshly cut green Doug-fir. Both the needles and the sap have a pleasant smell. I used to put a chip of newly cut Doug in my work pickup to make it smell better for a brief time.

The town of Morton smelled of cedar as I drove through yesterday. They have a cedar mill there. It was a nice change from the cow poop fertilzed field smell here of the last few days.

Smoke? Juniper makes a sweet smelling smoke. When I first arrived in the Southwest, I thought everybody was using the same fabric softener. It was juniper smoke.

Concolor fir. Smells like oranges! Only was able to find it for one Christmas! Wish it were more widely available.

Black cherry! Unmistakable smell that is my favorite by far. Hickory is 2nd.

YUP!

Fresh split Cherry reminds me of the old Dr. Smith cough drops.

Hickory smells great too, burning or not.

Pear and Apple, Cedar all good.

Red Oak? smells like someone stepped in dog ****.

Last edited:
Cherry.

firewood1_zpsde3a292e.jpg

CB6B090D-E90B-4BFB-8626-7F3D57E8EE91-1040-000001E986D99EDF.jpg

Man...nobody has mentioned maple...gotta be my favorite when burning. I walk in the house after being gone for a while and it smells like bacon and pancakes at the same time! :clap:

Splitting...white pine is nice, but don't really have a favorite. Not oak...

While sawing, Sugarpine, burning Tanbark Oak.

Fresh pine resin, in agreement there. Ponderosa pine smells great to me -- could be I just get into more of it. Crushed Doug-fir needles is extremely attractive to the check-out women at the supermarket -- I always got complemented on how I smell if I have been in one.:msp_wink:

Latest posts

Back