Best starting saw of all time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty cool Mac!! So you decomp it and kill ignition and activate the starter/generator all at once and the flywheel no longer working against compression charges up the battery as it comes to a stop? That's really slick! Sounds heavy but considering what's in it and how it's made that's not so bad.

Well; I haven't had too many saws in my lifetime. Probably cause they keep right on running. This lil Poulan 2075 is still the best starting saw of the bunch. Matter of fact; It's simply a Sweet Saw all-around.
PRO 91 SPEA finally 007.jpg

That's pretty cool Mac!! So you decomp it and kill ignition and activate the starter/generator all at once and the flywheel no longer working against compression charges up the battery as it comes to a stop? That's really slick! Sounds heavy but considering what's in it and how it's made that's not so bad.

no you have it all backwards.

it works just like your car. Turn the key, battery powers starter motor. Engine starts. Generator charges battery with engine running. Starter rope is for back up if there is a malfunction in the electric starting system. Like a hand crank on your old farm tractor with electric start.

Echo cs520 starts like a charm, hot or cold. My 371xp I rebuilt is not as easy as the Echo but not as bad as some Huskys I've been around! I don't grab ahold of it and say to my self "please start"... ;)

no you have it all backwards.

it works just like your car. Turn the key, battery powers starter motor. Engine starts. Generator charges battery with engine running. Starter rope is for back up if there is a malfunction in the electric starting system. Like a hand crank on your old farm tractor with electric start.
Oh OK gotcha

got 2 echo tophandles cs3000 and 1 cs4200, they all start very easily
unlike my 038mag which is a real PITA, sometimes when i leave my house in a rush for an urgent removal or trimming
i will grab all my echos and jump into my pickup LOL

Oh my that's a nice collection. What all you got there? Looks like a 510 EVL maybe? A couple 4500 and/or 4600s? They all look pretty cherry!

(2) 550EVLs
(2) 4600s
(1) 330EVL

Not in pic:
(1) 702VL
(1) Timberwolf
And this:
IMG_0873.JPG

I just got the 610 twin running on Saturday. It has not run in 10 yrs. Started on 3rd pull. No saws start as well as Echos.

(2) 550EVLs
(2) 4600s
(1) 330EVL

Not in pic:
(1) 702VL
(1) Timberwolf
And this:
View attachment 406740

I just got the 610 twin running on Saturday. It has not run in 10 yrs. Started on 3rd pull. No saws start as well as Echos.

Very very nice! That was kind of my feeling on the subject but didn't want to sway the conversation! Let me know if you're ever willing to part with one of those 4600s. I don't get one thing though. All the saws you list in your signature and it appears you left out all the best ones!!

Very very nice! That was kind of my feeling on the subject but didn't want to sway the conversation! Let me know if you're ever willing to part with one of those 4600s. I don't get one thing though. All the saws you list in your signature and it appears you left out all the best ones!!

Thank you! I have just recently become interested in Echos, primarily because the cost of a non running Echo is very cost effective and it allows me to satisfy my hobby addiction at low costs. None of the saws in the pictures above were more than $100 each including shipping. Most of them were fixed because of simple fuel issues. The only exception was a dead electronic module on a 4600 but that was just a $20 fix w/ a used one. The older Echos are built like tanks.

Echo saws are the easiest by far. I just started my cs400 on SECOND Pull - COLD. It had been sitting for 3 months in an ice cold garage.

I like the video, but if that is an "easy starting" saw, then my echos must be as close to an AUTOMATIC start as chainsaws get.

JC

ps- the echo cs352 and cs590 in my lineup are also EXTREMELY easy to start. The 590 sometimes takes an extra pull or two compared to the others which are normally second or third pull. THere is no primer button on the cs590.

As long as it hasn't sat for 6 months my 090 is my best starting saw. If I'm fast enough turning the choke off it can start in one pull and with the de-comp it's not too hard to pull either.

funny the OP mentioned the cs-450... thats the saw i have, and though i don't have a lot of experience with a ton of saws. it is by far the easiest to start i've come across. Several times i've had a 1 pull start from ice cold and if you are fast with shutting of the choke you can keep it running. i would say on average its 2 pulls to get it to "pop" or start running on choke. if it doesn't start running enough on 2 pulls to stay going, choke off and 1 more pull and you are good to go. I can't remember it ever taking more than 3 pulls to start cold. Once warm even after its sat a good while, 1 pull and you are running no problems.

To kick the thread in a different direction...what causes this ease of starting? The cs-450 does have a purge bulb which of course helps.

Echo's patented advanced ignition and good old Japanese engine engineering. I never touch the primer on my 450. They really don't need them.

Im the same. With my echos that have primers 2 pulls to pop then one or sometimes two to start. The 590 with no bulb takes two or three to pop, then one or two to start. This is cold sitting for months

Back