Best time and method for moving trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a few trees (saplings) I would like to move on my property

The first is an American Larch (Tamarack) which is in my garden it was a nice tree when it was small but now it is 6 foot tall and has a truck which is a few inches, I want to cut it down but the wife wants to save it and move out of the garden. The other trees are white pine I have about 6 of them ranging from 2 foot to 4 foot that I would like to move to use on the property line as a screen.

When is the best time to try to move them and what is the best method

Thanks

I have a few trees (saplings) I would like to move on my property

The first is an American Larch (Tamarack) which is in my garden it was a nice tree when it was small but now it is 6 foot tall and has a truck which is a few inches, I want to cut it down but the wife wants to save it and move out of the garden. The other trees are white pine I have about 6 of them ranging from 2 foot to 4 foot that I would like to move to use on the property line as a screen.

When is the best time to try to move them and what is the best method

Thanks

The larch I don't think will transplant very well, but don't have a lot of experience with them, the white pines should do very well. The best way to move them is with a spade, but a shovel will do with a lot of patience and muscle. You will have to get as much root as possible in the ball when digging it up, and try not to cut the tap root too short. The best time to transplant is now if your soil isn't frozen, or as soon as the soil thaws in the spring. Anytime the tree is not actively growing is the best time to move it. Don't try to transplant between late may until the end of September to make sure the tree is still dormant. Late May is the absolute latest to transplant for the best condition, in my opinion.

Best time is by area around here late September through November is prime time. Also again in the spring up until May, depending on weather of course sometimes later sometimes sooner.

As far as the moving dig the hole that the tree will go into 3 times as wide and at least twice as deep. This helps to loosen the soil so the roots don't have more of a struggle adapting/growing.

When you dig out the tree dig DEEP and WIDE, the more the better. If you cant move the ENTIRE root system, any roots that are fractured or cut you should uncover further and make nice proper pruning cuts at proper points. Plenty of water after moving for the first 2 weeks or so. You can also add some nice Loam to the soil when transplanting, if needed.

I know that 95% of don't have the time, patience, or money in the job to do this. But you did ask for the BEST method, right?
I am sure I missed some details but this will get you good results.

Take you time with that Larch, they are sensitive!

Best time is by area around here late September through November is prime time. Also again in the spring up until May, depending on weather of course sometimes later sometimes sooner.

As far as the moving dig the hole that the tree will go into 3 times as wide and at least twice as deep. This helps to loosen the soil so the roots don't have more of a struggle adapting/growing.

When you dig out the tree dig DEEP and WIDE, the more the better. If you cant move the ENTIRE root system, any roots that are fractured or cut you should uncover further and make nice proper pruning cuts at proper points. Plenty of water after moving for the first 2 weeks or so. You can also add some nice Loam to the soil when transplanting, if needed.

I know that 95% of don't have the time, patience, or money in the job to do this. But you did ask for the BEST method, right?
I am sure I missed some details but this will get you good results.

Take you time with that Larch, they are sensitive!

+1 Much more detailed.

Don't plant the tree too low or water will pool around the trunk and cause all sorts of problems.

Latest posts

Back