best time to cut old trees for regrowth????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a few rows of a mystery tree that seems to have alot of dead branches so I cut one down a few years back and it is now just as tall as the others and very healthy!!!

I want to cut all of them but not sure what time of year it is best for the tree???

I live in canada (sask) so today is plus 30c and around that most of the summer , winter will drop to minus 40c so in no way mild..

will try to post a few pics today

shayne

I have a few rows of a mystery tree that seems to have alot of dead branches so I cut one down a few years back and it is now just as tall as the others and very healthy!!!

I want to cut all of them but not sure what time of year it is best for the tree???

I live in canada (sask) so today is plus 30c and around that most of the summer , winter will drop to minus 40c so in no way mild..

will try to post a few pics today

shayne
You might want to post in the Homeowner forum. This is the chainsaw forum. You might get better response there, although a lot of arborists hang out here. I don't have an answer for you, sorry...:monkey:

I am in saskatchewan, canada.

I know this is the wrong forum but it's kinda like looking for a cop.... not at the station but you will find them at a donut shop!!

I am in saskatchewan, canada.

I know this is the wrong forum but it's kinda like looking for a cop.... not at the station but you will find them at a donut shop!!

I know. I live in Nokomis. About halfway between Regina and Saskatoon on Hwy20.

There are lots of maples, oak, elm. Sometimes a stand of birch. A fair bit of crappy poplar and some mixed pines.

If your trees re-grew very quickly they might be poplar. They grow incredibly fast.

The instructions I found for pruning suggested that late winter and early spring are the best times for pruning because the trees have the vigor to heal early in the season. Late summer they do not have the growth potential to heal properly.

I also recall that orchardists do not prune early in the winter because this is supposed to be hard on the trees.

-walt

Back