Best tool for chipping dirty bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Reaction score
I often cut dirty and wet tops as a sawyer in our county heating assistance program. I usually make cuts on the clean part of the log, then roll the log, chip away the dirty bark along the kerf lines, then finish the cuts.

I alternate between using a hatchet and an old Craftsman axe on the bark. The axe is a bit unwieldy and the hatchet too light. So I'm looking for a better answer.

Any recommendations on tools or technique?

Only time I worried about it was on a pile of logs the home builder had a well drilled next to. The well driller got the logs muddy with stuff that was like concrete. I ended up just burning most of the pile after killing a few chains.

Run semi chisel if you don't already.

• Log Wizard Debarking Tool
  • Straight Draw Knife
  • Round ground chain only used for debarking
  • Carbide chain
I would personally just bring a chain for this purpose, maybe even a saw just for debarking. Just me though.

• Straight Draw Knife
  • Carbide chain
I would personally just bring a chain for this purpose, maybe even a saw just for debarking. Just me though.
Now there's an idea. This means you get to buy new toy also, I like this idea.

Some of this wood is covered half way around with dirt. I'm thinking about a short axe of some sort. Most of the tops are lying on a pile so clearance can be a problem. Wow I like the debarking tool idea though. An alternate saw with carbide chain might work. What would be the ballpark cost of a 3/8 pitch carbide chain say 18" bar?

• Straight Draw Knife
  • Carbide chain

Log wizard... you'll kill the blades if run in dirt.

Carbide chain is super super slow cutting firewood.

OP if it's that bad how about hosing them off? If you aren't near water a 55 gal drum in the truck and a hose works (pressure washer event better). I've washed equipment that way before.

Log wizard... you'll kill the blades if run in dirt.

Carbide chain is super super slow cutting firewood.

OP if it's that bad how about hosing them off? If you aren't near water a 55 gal drum in the truck and a hose works (pressure washer event better). I've washed equipment that way before.
What metal are used in the log wizard for blades?

Why do you think I'd know? It's whatever planer blades are!

I just know you will kill the blades by hitting dirt. Even large knots is rough on them.

Why do you think I'd know? It's whatever planer blades are!

I just know you will kill the blades by hitting dirt. Even large knots is rough on them.
Lol. I am just trying to get a better idea of what the wizard is made of. I don't own one so I have no way to look at it. I can't image why they would put mild steel in a machine which debarks logs which inherently have dirt bullets fencing and all sorts of odds and ends. Again I have never used one so I will default to your knowledge it just seems like poor engineering if that is the case.

Don't cut the dirt with the saw. I used to cut on the landing years ago. Logs come out coated in mud all summer long. I used to sharpen once in the AM and once after lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. I am just trying to get a better idea of what the wizard is made of. I don't own one so I have no way to look at it. I can't image why they would put mild steel in a machine which debarks logs which inherently have dirt bullets fencing and all sorts of odds and ends. Again I have never used one so I will default to your knowledge it just seems like poor engineering if that is the case.

Not sure, maybe because the blades are cheap and easy to find.

I've only tested the wizard them, never really used much. The shop installs/services them so I've worked on quite a few and installed new blades.

Personally I don't like it for debarking, rough on the log, saw and operator but many folks swear up and down its the best.

I watched a show on guys who harvest and sell burls and they use carbide chains. I also know guys that instead of stump grinding use a garden hose and a cheap chainsaw for the dirty work. The only personal experience i have is with stihl chain running threw old nails and barb wire in trees and it dulled the chain but didn't ruin it. I know a company in New Hampshire that cryogenically freezes chains, I dont know if its a gimmick or makes them stronger...just an idea. If you dont have access to a hose this may be an option.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
I use a gardening tool that I purchased from Harbor Freight for just that purpose of debarking trees. It isn't expensive and very handy. I'll see if I can find a pic/link.

Latest posts

Back