Best tool for chipping dirty bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a show on guys who harvest and sell burls and they use carbide chains. I also know guys that instead of stump grinding use a garden hose and a cheap chainsaw for the dirty work. The only personal experience i have is with stihl chain running threw old nails and barb wire in trees and it dulled the chain but didn't ruin it. I know a company in New Hampshire that cryogenically freezes chains, I dont know if its a gimmick or makes them stronger...just an idea. If you dont have access to a hose this may be an option.
Cryogenically dipped metal helps to align the molecules in a more linear pattern as opposed to a random one. This helps with overall steel strength, wear resistance and Rockwell hardness scale attainability. The results are more notable in powdered metals. Although I think it's worth pointing out that planer blades on an industrial planner at the mill I work at are not cryogenically dipped, rather we just sharpen the blades more often. We plane approximately 1 million board feet of lumber per day and sharpen as needed. I believe the planer knives are made from D2.

Some of this wood is covered half way around with dirt. I'm thinking about a short axe of some sort. Most of the tops are lying on a pile so clearance can be a problem. Wow I like the debarking tool idea though. An alternate saw with carbide chain might work. What would be the ballpark cost of a 3/8 pitch carbide chain say 18" bar?
HOLY CRAP! This may not be the answer and would explain why local dealers have stopped carrying carbide chain. Honestly I would be more likely to invest in a reel of chain and the equipment to make your own loops, i.e. breaker spinner combo. Take 4 or 5 loops with you and just plan on sharpening when you get home. Hand sharpening with a file is fairly quick once you get used to it and is capable of producing very good results. Every five to ten sharpens, depending on your skill, take it to the grinder. The previous post from @ValleyFirewood stated the debarker is hard on the user, definitely something to consider. I might do some googling to see what other options are out there. Others have mentioned washing the logs down which actually is a viable solution.
Capture.JPG

Don't cut the dirt with the saw. I used to cut on the landing years ago. Logs come out coated in mud all summer long. I used to sharpen once in the AM and once after lunch.

This is probably the best answer.

I've never bucked on a logging crew, but I worked a couple of summers stumping limbing and bucking trees that had been dozer pushed (road construction). Try boring in where the wood is clean and slow down as you finish the cut, not cutting through the dirty bark. I never really perfected the technique, and had to sharpen a Lot. Good sharpening practice though. :)

bark spud

Never used one, but sounds interesting.

Broadaxes, hewing hatchets, adzes, pulaskis, or a small mattock all might work for you. Maybe even just a sharp shovel. You could look at a flea market or yard sales/ auctions for a deal.

Council Tool (USA Made) makes short-handled 'miner's axes' in 3 1/2 or 4# models with 20 or 26" handles. Or you could just bob the handle on a std axe or 2 1/2# axe.

This is probably the best answer.

I've never bucked on a logging crew, but I worked a couple of summers stumping limbing and bucking trees that had been dozer pushed (road construction). Try boring in where the wood is clean and slow down as you finish the cut, not cutting through the dirty bark. I never really perfected the technique, and had to sharpen a Lot. Good sharpening practice though. :)

Yup. Use the chain to chop off the bark in a relatively clean spot. Then bore in, and push the power head down and rotate the bar. The far side is cutting with the top of the bar, flinging the dirt off. The near side is cutting with the bar, flinging the dirt off. When you cut the bottom of the log cut from the near side to te backside, and ideally don't cut the bark. It takes a little practice, but it works.

HOLY CRAP! This may not be the answer and would explain why local dealers have stopped carrying carbide chain. Honestly I would be more likely to invest in a reel of chain and the equipment to make your own loops, i.e. breaker spinner combo. Take 4 or 5 loops with you and just plan on sharpening when you get home. Hand sharpening with a file is fairly quick once you get used to it and is capable of producing very good results. Every five to ten sharpens, depending on your skill, take it to the grinder. The previous post from @ValleyFirewood stated the debarker is hard on the user, definitely something to consider. I might do some googling to see what other options are out there. Others have mentioned washing the logs down which actually is a viable solution.
View attachment 498997

Wow that's expensive.

I will probably go for a smaller axe; the Husky looks like an option. We don't have ready access to water or that would be great.

I do take a number of chains to the site and sometimes go through 4 in a morning, grinding them at home.

I personally love the Stihl carbide chains and think their worth the $75-$90 for the skidded/dirty logs that I cut.

Back