Best type of bed for hauling wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Long story short, my once straight bed on my '93 F250 7.3L 4x4 Ext cab is now damaged on both sides. Lost a tire tread last summer on the driver side and tore it up pretty good. I was thanfull that it didn't rip the fill spout off the rear tank, but it did try. This summer, I got the pass side into a small tree trying to drag out some tree tops. One was hung a little worst than I thought, the bed was empty, and it slid the back over into a small tree/big sappling. I can get another bed for about $150 at a P&P. Paint won't match, and I don't know if they have cancer or not. I've also thought about pulling the bed off and looking for a flat bed to put on.

This truck is my one and only daily driver. Aside from going to and from work, it hauls my firewood, ATV (which I now have a small trailer for), drags my little camper around, and takes me hunting. The only thing I really use the bed for is hauling an occational appliance home for me or a friend, hauling the firewood, and until reciently hauling the ATV. In light of that, I'd like to get input from you guys on what type of bed you prefer for hauling firewood. A dump bed would be AWSOME!!! but right now it's not in the budget. A flat bed would have to be a good used deal off Craigslist. Either way, with a flat bed I'd build side rails for it that would give me a "box" for the firewood. I stack my wood in the bed to fit more in, and I could build a nice tall box to allow me to easily get a full cord on for a change. Right now, I can only get about 80% of a cord on, and then I have to be able to fit my saws up front with me. For now, I'll keep the banged up bed that I've got. It works fine, but as I think about replacing it, I'm not sure which direction my mind should go.

Thanks,
Mark

Personally I think a pickup bed is perfect for hauling wood. Unless you have equipment to load a flatbed or dump box you will have to lift each piece as high as your current bedside is, every time. No tailgate or lower floor with a flatbed. A dump bed is only good if you are in a hurry to haul multiple loads of wood. Personally I would rather pick wood out of a bed than pick it up off the ground.

I wouldn't worry about the bed. Its only going to get more beat up. That is what trucks are for, not winning beauty contests.

replaced truck bed

Long story short, my once straight bed on my '93 F250 7.3L 4x4 Ext cab is now damaged on both sides. Lost a tire tread last summer on the driver side and tore it up pretty good. I was thanfull that it didn't rip the fill spout off the rear tank, but it did try. This summer, I got the pass side into a small tree trying to drag out some tree tops. One was hung a little worst than I thought, the bed was empty, and it slid the back over into a small tree/big sappling. I can get another bed for about $150 at a P&P. Paint won't match, and I don't know if they have cancer or not. I've also thought about pulling the bed off and looking for a flat bed to put on.

This truck is my one and only daily driver. Aside from going to and from work, it hauls my firewood, ATV (which I now have a small trailer for), drags my little camper around, and takes me hunting. The only thing I really use the bed for is hauling an occational appliance home for me or a friend, hauling the firewood, and until reciently hauling the ATV. In light of that, I'd like to get input from you guys on what type of bed you prefer for hauling firewood. A dump bed would be AWSOME!!! but right now it's not in the budget. A flat bed would have to be a good used deal off Craigslist. Either way, with a flat bed I'd build side rails for it that would give me a "box" for the firewood. I stack my wood in the bed to fit more in, and I could build a nice tall box to allow me to easily get a full cord on for a change. Right now, I can only get about 80% of a cord on, and then I have to be able to fit my saws up front with me. For now, I'll keep the banged up bed that I've got. It works fine, but as I think about replacing it, I'm not sure which direction my mind should go.

Thanks,
Mark
I've gone both ways over the years. If you can find a solid one in the junk yard for a good price I'd go with that. Have also built wooden ones with pressure treated lumber. Cut the old one off with sawsall. Easier than you think. Either way both work. Dump has always been my dream. Good luck. Bob (cheeves)

Last edited:
The truck ain't going to win any kind of contests, beauty or otherwise. But for a '93, it was in really good shape until I lost that tire tread. I don't mind beating the snot out of it, but I plan on having it for another 6 or 8 years so I don't mind putting a little time, effort, and $$ into it now to help keep things working better as it reaches the end of its life. When that day comes, I'm sure that it will be the body that does it in, so I'm paying closer attention to it now to make it last longer.

If you are gonna go thru the work to put a flat bed on it for goodness sake make it dump it will take you a little bit longer now and save you a ton of time over the next several years. I have thrown several of these together it is no big deal and wont cost much more. Find a cheap steal flat bed set it on, build your pivot points on the back, build your guides up front, find a cheap telescopic cylinder, mount it and either find an electric over hydraulic power unit or T into your power steering lines to operate it. You can find a telescopic cylinder on old 2 ton trucks with dump beds you only need one but grab both then you have a spare. Also if you use your power steering to power it you will need to add a larger reservoir for more oil.

I'll keep that in mind. I was kind of thinking along those lines anyway. When I unload my wood, it goes on the ground and I stack it when I get the chance. I've got a 5 speed (ZF5) and I think it has the option of a PTO. I'll have to do a little research and see. If so, that would be sweet! Next set of tires would certainly have to be E rated :)

best bed for hauling wood...queen with stiff springs!

oh...firewood :jester: sorry...

you can build a nice flatbed with some channel and hardwood or pressure treated...I think you can even buy ready made stake pockets to go around the outside...short on cash = junkyard

A couple years ago I was looking for a mason dump and came across a dumping flatbed for sale with in my price range, and after some convincing from my girlfriends father I ended up buying it. That truck is the best most versatile truck that I own. I built 4 sets of sides for it. I have a set that are roughly 55" tall, a set that are 12" tall in the rear and 24" tall in the front, a set that is a chipper/leaf box, and a set that are 12" tall (had left over from another truck and they fit). With in 10 minutes I can change the sides, except for the box, it takes a few minutes longer and a few people helping. When I am just running around town I don't put any sides on at all. The sides used the most are the 24"-12" sides. I want to invest in some under body tool boxes for some storage. That truck is a trooper, it is always loaded. I have another flatbed I am rebuilding to fit one of my single rear wheel trucks, and a underbody hoist for it.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy/build a flat bed with the intensions of putting a hoist under it. If you build or buy the right one, later on down the road when you have an extra 1500 or less you can buy a hoist and put it on. I bought a brand new venco hoist for 1400 with everything needed to install it.

Just my 2 cents, I love my flat beds

I'd find a dump insert and mount it to the frame. A 3/4 ton can be overloaded in a hurry with a 7'x8' dump bed..the insert will be more or less self contained and you won't be so apt to overload it.

hydraulic dump for full size pickup

+1.

Modifying your daily driver might include a call to your insurance company to remain covered.

flat bed dump, and rhino line it all over to keep the rust down.:bang::bang:

Back