Best way to get to Stihl 031 av ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My wire that goes to the on/off switch is just "not there" and obviously the on/off switch has no use. Saw runs until you pull plug or use choke. What is the best way to get to the ignition to trace down the wire or add a new replacement wire. Do I have to take the darn gas tank assembly off to get to the ignition? I hate to take it off and mess up gaskets,etc. but if its the only and best way to get good access....well, I guess I will have too. :cry: I believe I am beginning to feel the 031av is a real PITA to work on. Great and durable saw though!

There no gaskets involved in getting to the kill wire. First you will have to remove the top handle. Then you will have to remove the top cover and rear handle. There are three screws on this step, two on the rear handle at the av units (some 031s have only one at the rear) and one (recessed) on the side of the cover close to where the top handle fastens. Then there are 3 screws on the out side that holds the rewind and one screw on the bottom right side to remove and one in the carb. box. That should get you to the kill wire. There are two wires that come out from under the flywheel, one attaches to the ignition module and the other attaches to the kill switch. I am doing this from memory so if you run into anything you do not understand PM me. I have two 031s torn down in my shop so I can check out any problem you have. Tom

Back