Best way to level logs for initial cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
I'm starting to think about building my bandsaw mill and wondering about how to make the leveling mechanisms?

Does anyone have a method that works well for them, or ideas on what they'd do differently if they were going to make changes to what they're using now?

By leveling, I assume you are talking about leveling/supporting the track? If it is a portable band saw mill, it is hard to beat a screw-type leveling system. If you go this route, get good, solid jacks. I've had good luck with the Norwood jacks on my mill-- quick and easy to use, and good, solid support.. If it is to be a stationary mill, use adjustable feet or wedges. Wedges are cheap, but need to be adjusted on a regular basis. If you will be milling heavy logs with a light track, you would want to have a support under each crossbunk. Hope this helps.

Nope, actually I'm wondering about adjusting for taper in the log for the initial cut.

Some mills lack any provisions, and some use hydraulics. I don't plan on having hydraulics, at least not initially, so I'm wondering if there's any other good ways of doing the job?

My mill will be fixed and hopefully under at least a roof before too long after being moved into the woods. I'd like to have a platform so I have something firm to walk on year round (no mud), but I don't think I want to do the work needed to make a slab (no truck access or well for that matter) until I know more of what I'm doing. :laugh:

Bottle jacks are really slow too. Scissor jacks have the distinct advantage of being run with a motor - or at least are readily adaptable to one in the future (cordless drill's work great on them). I'm kinda embarrassed I didn't think of that. :oops: I drive past my neighbors 5th wheel every day for 6 months out of the year and it has them for levelers on all 4 corners.

Here is a video showing a how I level my logs using a small winch from hf.

I have also made a log turner using 2 winches. One to raise and lower and one to rotate the chain with cleats. Cleats are not on this video and I added another set of sprockets to reduce speed and give the lift more power.

Larry

Back