Best Way to Split This...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's relatively straight-grained oak, 24" diameter... Have a sharp wedge, start at the edge of the round, not the middle, and tap-tap-tap until the wedge is seated and WHACK!

Maybe another WHACK! or two and it should pop right open. Wear ear plugs, though, as that PING! from the sledge hitting the wedge will do a number on your hearing after 20 min or so.

It ain't that hard of work - and I'll argue its faster than noodling.
At least for me it is...

heck why not have some fun with it?.... get a cordless drill and some black powder some fuses... just blow them apart...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

At least for me it is...

your chain must be dull, or youre doing it wrong

id love to see someone hand split a 30" round of white oak with wedges as fast as someone could quarter it with noodle cuts , then hand split those 1/4s in half. if by some miracle you won on the first round, you wouldnt have the energy to even keep up with the 2nd one! :)

If it's relatively straight-grained oak, 24" diameter... Have a sharp wedge, start at the edge of the round, not the middle, and tap-tap-tap until the wedge is seated and WHACK!

Maybe another WHACK! or two and it should pop right open. Wear ear plugs, though, as that PING! from the sledge hitting the wedge will do a number on your hearing after 20 min or so.

At least for me it is...

Quite right. I don't get why one would need to cut a kerf to start the wedge either. I _have_ had todo tht on some real tight grain, green black locust but all it takes is enough to seat the tip of the wedge, no where near "bar depth". Lot faster to give a wedge 3-4 whacks than noodle through a 24" round.

Anything I can't load in one piece in the field gets the wedge/sledge treatment and only knots/crotches gets the 'noodle".

Harry K

I was splitting 25 inch rounds of red oak with my 4.5 pound maul yesterday. (I think it is a magnum force brand name, can never remember the exact name of it) Takes about 6 to 7 hits to break them in half. First two hits on opposite edges, then follow the crack. Once in half, they split very easy. The colder it is out side( 35 above yesterday), the easier they split. I wouldn't even try that in the summer. I wouldn't try it now either, but my splitter ( with lift) is at the other end of the woods with a flat tire. Dang it anyways! lol

I have split wood like this in the summer time. My trick is to use an axe I have designated for splitting. Sink the axe in where you think it should go, then hit it a bit with the sledge to start the crack. Now put in the wedge and take the axe back out. Due to the narrower cheek of the axe, you can start the split without have the wood spit the wedge back out at you.

If the fiskars wont go through it are you using the right side of the head? Orange part goes in your hands and pointy side to the wood. Work off the edges first.

Build a splitter!!! At least 100 ton. Ain't no mor problums fer ya afta dat. :)

Buy some beer too. You'll need it if you're gonna keep trying to split fresh cut oak with a splitting axe. :dizzy:

Be Patient

Just be patient. Store it on its side for two or three months until it checks up. Then split it with the wedge in the crack.

She will pop and love you for it. :msp_tongue:

Until she's ready, she will hate you for it. BTDT.

Gareth83, if you haven't cut the logs into rounds yet, consider cutting them into shorter segments and they will split much easier even though they are a large diameter. It all burns the same!

Philbert

your chain must be dull, or youre doing it wrong

You know, my wife's been saying that ever since we started dating...:msp_flapper:

id love to see someone hand split a 30" round of white oak with wedges as fast as someone could quarter it with noodle cuts , then hand split those 1/4s in half. if by some miracle you won on the first round, you wouldnt have the energy to even keep up with the 2nd one! :)

Maybe so, maybe no... once you get the first split, it's MUCH easier 'mauling' and can be done with the splitting maul instead of the 'sledge & wedge'.

If it's 'crotchy', hizzell yeah, get the noodling going or the splitter. But I can't convince the wife we can afford a splitter so what's a fella to do?

It's also fantastic therapy... P-O'ed at the world? Go swing an 8# sledge hammer at a piece of forged steel...

I have some freshly cut oak

As it is freshly cut my Fiskars Axe wont even touch it. What is the best way to cut and split this size timber?

Saw it down into say 10" discs?

Some options that I go to first:
-Stand piece up on end, on big round. With 6lb maul hit far edge, then middle, then near edge. You should be seeing a crack. (Or a split.)
-Hit along the crack again as you please, or
-Set wedge on the far crack edge & hit crack w/maul at center or near edge.

If it's not happening by now you gotta get mad at it, or sneaky (do some chainsaw ripping/noodling.) Note that you don't have to rip/noodle all the way; that is good prep for maul/wedge, which will finish the split quicker.

How are you trying to split it?

I've done tons of big oak like that, fresh stuff, and the fiskars handles it. Just start at the edges, no more than two inches max from the bark, work your way around, get all those pieces with the bark off. Sometimes I even go an inch, just barely inside the outside layer of bark. Just depends. The more they suck, the skinnier the first chunks off the round need to be. Once the bark is off, it makes it a lot easier.

After this first slab/debarking, your "round" is not so round anymore, might be a whatever a twelve sided figure is, something like that, however many cuts you take out of it.

I just don't think overall size has anything to do with it, if you follow that method, I've done over 30 inch diameter chunks so far with mine. OK, granted, none of them more than 16" thick though, what I cut for our heater.

Getting the bark off before the serious splitting commences is the prime way to get the wood chunks to come off easy. The bark acts like an incredibly hard band to keep the wood intact, once it is gone, well...Ya, wood sticks together real good all by itself, but that bark just adds some x-factor more effort needed to bust it up, so get rid of it first. the chunks are all still good firewood, so it don't matter either way. Nice and sorta flat, they stack nice....

Then move in to more normal firewood size chunks by whacking across those points you've made, in a little distance, your choice on size, 4-6" maybe. Just keep doing that, eventually you get down to the heart wood and it can be quartered or more, again, your choice.

I've also been doing some hickory rounds fresh enough they ooze sap, bigger than that, with the same technique. And that's some dense stringy wood.

When doing it by hand with the lighter high speed splitting axes, just remember this lame rhyme: "rounds get split, round and round and round"

You just can't use the fiskars the same way you would a maul or wedges, not on anything really big anyway, just not designed for it. the fiskars is NOT a splitting maul substitute, it is a different beast. I mean, sure, I've done it, just for a hoot. You have to use a lot of whacks and walk your natural crack clean across the round. Then go back and do it again. Eventually you'll tell when to go for it, a coupla good ones right in the middle, it'll pop, but..that's the hard way and a lotta work. I can have the whole thing done in the same time and amount of whacks going round and round and round as just getting it in half like using a maul. I'd rather have all the firewood busted up by then. Maximum busted wood with minimal axe strikes.

Actually, thinking about it, for suck wood I have split a lot of, fresh green poplar gives me the most grief, it's like hard rubber. So I let that stuff sit for awhile until it dries some and then crack it. I don't go out of my way to cut it, but makes decent fall and spring wood and got a lot here, I'll take some standing dead or fresh blowdowns or something with a bad lean aiming for a fence. and as long as I got it, it gets split and burned.

Sweetgum...haven't tried any big ones yet with the fiskars. I cut a lot of it, but small, it just gets stacked as is because it'll all fit in the stove already. I won't cut a big one down on purpose, but next time one falls, I'll try it, and report either success or....having to use the hydraulic.

Oh, I touch up the blade a *lot*, sometimes after each round, no more than four rounds. Just a few fast stokes, first couple hard, then ease off make a "slick" stroke. Makes a big difference, even though it still seems sharp, that little extra fine sharpness seems to give a lot more depth and split. I think there's a reason they ship those things OMG sharp compared to what you see for a factory edge with most other axes, etc.

Quite right. I don't get why one would need to cut a kerf to start the wedge either. I _have_ had todo tht on some real tight grain, green black locust but all it takes is enough to seat the tip of the wedge, no where near "bar depth". Lot faster to give a wedge 3-4 whacks than noodle through a 24" round.

Anything I can't load in one piece in the field gets the wedge/sledge treatment and only knots/crotches gets the 'noodle".

Harry K

Not in my neck of the woods. Noodling through a 24" round takes me about 15 sec. Normally I will tip over sevaral pieces and noodle them with the saw at a slight angle to keep the noodles a little shorter. When the saw handle touches the ground, I pull the bar and move on to the next round. After doing them all, stand them back up and hit them once with a 6 lb maul. Once they are in half, the rest can be done with an axe. Under ideal conditions, someone might be able to keep up using wedges, but I can go ALL DAY LONG BABY! :)

For the OP, I would recomend noodling the rounds in half, and them load them up, take them home, and stack them until you are ready to take them in and burn them. Split them to their final size just before you take them in.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

Well my recently muffler modded Stihl 039 running a 15" bar with brand new RSC chain seemed to noodle the first few very quickly!!!!

To answer your question... the best way to split it is to use a hydrolic splitter. If you dont have a splitter use a sledge and a couple of wedges. Start on the edges of the rounds. After a little pratice you will get the hang of it.

Back