best way to store a saw long term.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
got my dads saw i want to put away,and possibly only use on rare occasions,maybe never,ok, it has a 16:1 mix of premium gas/semi synthetic yamalube oil in it.whats the best way to store it,like other things,a cool dark place? sorry,couldnt resist.

Drain the fuel and put some 2stroke oil in the plug hole, pull the string a few times. Last but not least, keep it off of the concrete. Also some guys fill the fuel tank of older saws with tranny fluid.

I will add to what 460 said that you'll want to run it out of gas, and choke it when it begins to die to get the last of the fuel out. Wouldn't hurt if the last tank had some sta-bil in it to keep the carb diaphragms soft. If you leave it where it is exposed to temperature variations, the fuel will spoil quickly if left in the carb. I would keep it inside, but that's what I do with all of my saws.

What kind of saw are we talking?

poulan s25cva.this saw sat for over 14 yrs with nothing done to it. and runs great after a fuel line change. it was on a shelf in the basement in the same room as my wood stove.might put it back there when im ready to put it away.

As others have said regarding fuel...dry. Two reasons: rot, and not many saws are absolutely tight, and may leak bar oil and mix. Evaporation INSIDE the carb even...leaving you with mostly oil inside the carb held together with varnish.

Not your best day.

I buy those lag-screw hooks meant for bicycles and ladders and things at the hardware store, run 'em into ceiling joists, and hang saws, string trimmers and a few other things from the ceiling in my shop. Dry, out of the way, and looks cool. Parts saws and projects-to-be reside in plastic tubs in the hayloft of the barn with the lids on.

Latest posts

Back