Best Wedge?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got 3 different wedges and they work much differently from each other.

Am I missing any other type that are better than these?

1) Typical steel wedge. Works okay but gets stuck fairly easily. Then the end gets bashed.

2) "Wood Grenade" that is funny shaped thing and is supposed to (I guess) split a round into 4 pieces. Doesn't work for me and takes more taps than a regular wedge. Hardly/never use it.

3) THE WINNER! Don't know what you call this type, but it's a normal wedge with 2 shoulders about 2/3rds of the way up flaring out at a steeper angle. You tap the wedge up to these shoulders, give the wedge a somewhat harder whack, and the round usually flies apart very neatly. Bought this thing years ago at Farm & Fleet and should get another one if they still make them. By far superior of the three described here.

Are there any other style wedges out there that work?

1) Typical steel wedge. Works okay but gets stuck fairly easily. Then the end gets bashed.

2) "Wood Grenade" that is funny shaped thing and is supposed to (I guess) split a round into 4 pieces. Doesn't work for me and takes more taps than a regular wedge. Hardly/never use it.

3) THE WINNER! Don't know what you call this type, but it's a normal wedge with 2 shoulders about 2/3rds of the way up flaring out at a steeper angle. You tap the wedge up to these shoulders, give the wedge a somewhat harder whack, and the round usually flies apart very neatly. Bought this thing years ago at Farm & Fleet and should get another one if they still make them. By far superior of the three described here.

I split a lot of siberian elm, and the wood grenade is GREAT! Works way better for me than the typical steel wedge. the point helps it get started quicker.

I have found though that if the wood is dry, nothing beats the maul.

I have found though that if the wood is dry, nothing beats the maul.

+1

Talking firewood up to 18-20''

Bigger rounds the grenade and variants are useless anyway to my opinion.
So i split them with the conventional steel wedges.

Probably also commonly known but nevertheless:

With the maul: you hit a piece and the maul is stuck. Lift the whole thing and At tipping point of the swing: turn maul and piece of wood 180 so the maul hits the block first. Piece will split.

+1

Talking firewood up to 18-20''

Bigger rounds the grenade and variants are useless anyway to my opinion.
So i split them with the conventional steel wedges.

Probably also commonly known but nevertheless:

With the maul: you hit a piece and the maul is stuck. Lift the whole thing and At tipping point of the swing: turn maul and piece of wood 180 so the maul hits the block first. Piece will split.

With the bigger stuff i still use the grenade, but use it like a regular wedge instead of putting it in the center I work it around the outside.

Your #3 wedge sounds like an Estwing wedge. Does it look like this: http://estwing.com/product.php?product_id=1500 ?

grenades

anyone have trouble with the wood grenades bouncing out of green wood? if i don't use a heavy enough sledge they just pop out and land on the ground :confused: I don't like them for that reason.

Estwing Wedge:

Design wise I think it is the best mix of all features. Narrow enough to cut into the wood and start the split. Does a great job until it hits the ramps, and then if all is well, it blows the round wide open, and if it does not, it has it broken open so wide that you can follow on down through the split with the mall.

It does have some problems,

Too Soft: That's the worst, if you pound on it (and I have to with the fibrous birch and nasty Spruce we run into) it starts to dent and fold over. That's with only 3 or 4 days chopping, and only like a weeks worth of burning wood. I alrady had to grind down the head to get the head cleaned up (so soft it does not look like it will split off and hit someone or something but bad news). I would guess by the end of winter its no longer usable. Will see. I have a bench grinder so I can keep in good shape, but it will keep moving down the shaft and wind up tooo short to be useful.

Other part is more minor but also fixable. It tends to bounce out if the round has a lot of spring back resistance. I.e. its going in, but not staying split yet. That exhists from the start and particly bad with that type round when you hit the fins and it wants to blast it open.
Solution would seem to be to roughen it, or put revers rdiges (i.e. barbs) along the whole thing so it does nto do that. You would not be able to remove, but with two wedges and an maul, I have yet to run into a round that it won't blow open. Desing wise its perfect fucntion wise :computer2: from the shape and action.

http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/hammer.gif

Latest posts

Back