Bidding and looking for Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok you self employed guy's I'm interested in how everyone goes about finding and bidding on there logging jobs?I'm interested in maybe getting some new ideas from you guys maybe you can help me out..

Later Rob.

Ed I also get alot of work from Foresters around here but mainly either word of mouth or I'll sub for a bigger company..I have been thinking about putting a ad in the phone book,and maybe one in the Northern Logger also..

Later Rob.

Guy I work for gets most by word of mouth, but the last 6 months we have been working on 50 acres he bought, just bought another 150 acres, so were moving there next.

Rob theres loggers here that buy that big map from the county that has all the private land with the peoples name on it, and they go out and check to see where the timber is and start calling them, some lives out of state and has never even seen it and they get pretty good deals on it , just an idea, good luck.

map

lc429, a plat map, not always up to date but a good starting point. While you are in the county office picking up the plat map get a topo map also to see the elevation of what you are looking at. Then go to TerraServer online and look over the aerial views, some counties have even better pictures than TerraServer but they co$t. TerraServer pics you can see cars and trucks and large trees. The best pictures are the ones taken after/during floods for FEMA and others/ close ups. LandSat has some pics you can see individual trees.

I just got back from checking out TerraServer wow thanks for the tip that will be very useful..

Later Rob.

TerraServer

There are some other sites with better pics but you can't get there from here. I wonder how many others have been useing Terra Server? On the right day you can see guys in trees but I could not make out the name on the trucks.

Many of the counties I work in have up to date aerial photos on CD's done by the county auditors. They usually sell them for a few bucks. It's worth looking into. As was already alluded to, make sure you are on the service forester's list of loggers that they hand out.

If you get the curent plat and combine it with the tax info you can get a pretty good idea as to wht is what, unless you are in an area that is subdividing every month or so. Tract houses like mushrooms.

Rob, I spent $600. last year on add's in the local yellow pages.:(
Its not worth the big $:mad: ,I finally got a few calls in Jan, looking for dry cordwood,which I'm out of:eek: .
Ed K

county maps

Jefferson County, PA. has a machine to enlarge maps to 10'x20' but they will charge for that so if your going to the chainsawing event in Ridway, PA. it might do you to stop by Brookville, PA, on a weekday and ask about getting a LARGE MAP done up.
Swampwhiteoak, some of the townships here are doing the aerial mapping of pipelines with infrared and it is good to know where you are cutting is or isn't on a live pipeline.

You might also want to consider getting certified as well, that might make you more likely to get bid notices sent your way.

Thanks for all the great ideas fellas I appreciate it,now all I have to do is try a few and see what happens from there..

Later Rob.

Rob,
I am jumping in late here. I think the maps are very important I have maps of every county within workable driving distance. However, I think the future of my logging jobs will lie in the hands of foresters so I am trying to get my foot in the door with them now. It seems like more and more pieces ar being cruised by state and independent foresters who have some sort of timber stand improvement in mind for that particlular piece wether it be a clear cut, shelterwood cut or so on. I also am looking at low impact logging as a means of future employment something with very little ground disturbance. You always have to be thinking about it. loggers are dropping like flies in my area so good luck and Take care, Wade Huggins

Back