Big bars, big saws, todays haul....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
After scoring the group of 16 saws from the old time shop earlier this month, I thought that the CAD sources might be drying up. However, that is apparently not the case!

I had a fellow contact me about a '42 Studebaker coupe he was getting ready to scrap. It is in bad shape and was last used as a chicken house.

SuperXL925001.jpg

Floors were gone, rust everywhere, but I took a bunch of parts off of it in the hopes someone might be able to use them. As part of the deal, he also threw in this Remington saw. Said it ran well before he broke the crank...

SuperXL925003.jpg

After gathering up all the pieces to this hulk and three pieces of back glass for the Loewy coupes, I took an hour drive down to Surry County. I had seen an ad on Craigslist yesterday for a yard sale this coming Saturday that listed 4 chain saws as being available. I e-mailed the seller to see what he had and this was his response "1 stihl O11 AVT. 2 homelite super XL 925, & 1 Bow saw, 1Poulan 306 A." Needless to say, this piqued my interest but also created a problem as I will be tied up this weekend with my daughter's swim meet.

I ended up talking to the seller and explained my problem and asked if he would be willing to sell them prior to the yard sale. He said he would and priced out each of the saws. I agreed to meet him today and look them over. The good news is I got all of them to fire, the bad news is there is only one Super XL 925. While the bow saw does not have a tag, I suspect it is a C-7 derivative.

Here is a picture of what I got.

SuperXL925007.jpg

For $10 more than his asking price I got what I think may be a bar for the 925 as well as a nice crosscut saw with the store name still visible on the blade. While the saw looks fairly new, the store has been out of business for probably 45 years.

SuperXL925008.jpg

SuperXL925002.jpg

The 28" Mac bar on the 306A is too much, but may find its way onto a Mac that I have.

SuperXL925012.jpg

Just a little teaser for Aaron...

SuperXL925013.jpg

I'll send you your cost for that 011 if you post a video systematically reducing it to a pile of smoldering dust. Gosh I hate top-handle saws, those in particular!

Love the Homelite bow and crosscut saw.
Have you quit your job and gone to saw picking full time ? lol

I'll send you your cost for that 011 if you post a video systematically reducing it to a pile of smoldering dust. Gosh I hate top-handle saws, those in particular!

I would chip in to see that as well. :msp_biggrin:

Didn't quit my job, the company I worked for had inept management and went bankrupt so I lost my job 22 months ago. Since I rarely sell a saw, not much money to be made in it....

Gary that 306A has a stack muffler on it. Good god, that thing will make you deaf, I'm sure of it.

Not sure that I have seen a stack on one and not sure its a Poulan stack anyway.

Nice finds though, those 925's are strong.

Latest posts

Back