Big Bore Kit for 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
First time installing a BB kit. Anything I should be aware of before hand, or are they pretty much stright forward to put one in. Any special tools needed?

I'm getting a Bailey's kit as I have read they are a good "bang for the buck". Anyone have a review on these?

How much compression can I expect? I had 130 when I retired the original.

I'm not finding much on a "break in procedure" on a new top end. I think I read: "run a tank full on idle". Does this sound right?

Any feedback would be aappreciated.

I think I read: "run a tank full on idle". Does this sound right?

I can't imagine that being right...

My guess is just don't run it WOT out of the wood. Keep it WOT in the wood and all should be fine.

Last edited:
no surprises and run it a little rich until it breaks in. You will feel it after 4-8 tanks. They are good kits and an excellent value

+1 Just run it normal and without high revs out of the wood. Blipping the throttle is fun to a lot of people, but avoid doing it, especially with a brand new top end.

+1

just set it a little rich and go cut wood. Worth rechecking the RPM a little more often at first, it should pick up a little as the rings seat.

No reason why compression should not be int the 160 psi range once it's broken in.

So when putting the new cylinder on the piston do you want to lubricate it first?
Yep use some of your premix,,, it doesnt take much,,, the kits come with some basic instructions,,, or you can download if from baileys

T-27 Torx for the cylinder bolts and and inch Pound torque wrench!!!!

Last edited:
Use oil on cylinder piston and rings/pin before assembly. It will smoke a bit at first but will lubricate everything on the first startup. Take your time make sure everything stays clean and rings are at the right location and all will be well.

How much compression can I expect? I had 130 when I retired the original.

I'm not finding much on a "break in procedure" on a new top end. I think I read: "run a tank full on idle". Does this sound right?

Any feedback would be aappreciated.

Mine has 155 lb and that is all it has ever had,,, its been running 2 years w/dualport muffler,,, no problems...

as far as beak in,,, just no sustained WOT out of wood,,,, other than that I ran mine like I stole it!!! as stated before after5-8 tanks it will be good to go,,, Mine has only been run or quality Synthetic mix and premium fuel BTW good luck take some photo's and post em,,,

Is it necessary to remove the carb/intake boot to do a big bore kit, or can you just unclamp it at the cylinder?

Much essier to take of the carb, fit the boot onto the cylinder then with a short piece of string pull the boot back though the tank mount hole.

And.. you won't be poking any holes thought the boot with your screwdriver!

This is more of a tuning question. What is the best way to tune a saw when you install a new piston/cylinder? I have read that you dont want to run the saw full throtle out of wood with a new cylinder/piston, but isnt that the correct way you tune with a tach?

Yes... but don't sweat the theory. Just don't peg the saw at WOT for more than say 5 seconds between adjustments.

I like to get the rings initially seated before any serious attempt to tune. Set the carb rich, turn up LA for a brisk idle (say 6K) and leave it running for 10 minutes (you might even the saw pick up maye a 1000 rpm over that time as the rings seat a little). Then "tune" it... by ear..

Last edited:
Back