Big Bore kit for 372XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 372xp is low on compression and is low on power (fails the recoil cord test-not able to hold its own weight, and I had the instructor of the GOL course run it and he said it is really lackin on power).

I bought the saw off a faller who harvested our woodlot in fall of '06...so its been ran hard but it got pinched in a tree(couple pieces cracked here and there (no biggies) and the top fin on cylinder is cracked but intact. I've cut a bit more than 20 full cord of wood through it and a solid 100 locust fence posts.

I've seen in the Bailies catalog that the kit is on sale for roughly $110. How many more cc's am i gaining w/ this kit (original saw is 71cc)? Am i going to be able to use the same carb and muffler (gonna open that up) w/ the BB?

Thanks for any help yall can offer:clap:

Depending on how the jug looks on the inside. You might breathe new life into her with just a set of rings.
I haven't used one of the big bore's, so I'm not qualified to comment on them.

Andy

Here is the link to the Bailey's big bore.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BBN+372&catID=383

It looks like a new one because it is NiSi now instead of chrome. 52mm $109.95

Here is the link to the OEM kit.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=544+25+43+02&catID=383

51.4mm $239.95. Better quality but over twice as much. Your saw is more than likely the 50mm 70.7cc. The OEM kit will get you up to 74.6cc the Bailey's kit being 52mm might get you somewhere around 76cc. If it were me, I'd pony up the extra $130.00 and go with the OEM parts.

i put that BB kit on my 365special.
the quality of it seemed pretty damn good, close to what i observed on the OEM one i removed from it.
110$ you cant really go wrong at that price and the folks at baileys are a pleasure to deal with.

ok thanks :clap:

yea my saw is the 70.7cc model. I havent taken the p+c off yet to look at the walls and whatnot. I have not problem forkin out the extra $130 to get a better product.

If anybody else has opinions/expiernces w/ the big bores please share, thank you

From what I have read, the 74.6cc OEM kit should be the best option, the BB one probably is a bit much for the case volume - and then there is the quality issue.......:givebeer:

Neither is a big improvement (or any at all) over the standard 70.7cc variety, as I understand it, unless extensive porting work is done (to either).

Last edited:
go to youtube.com and type in "timberwolf 365"
timberwolf has his 365 with a big bore kit on it on there. take a look you will be amazed

an update

I just got the saw back from a friend who has a small engine shop. I had him check compression and also did a leak down test. The saw has 125psi after 3 pulls and high 90psi on leak down test. He thought maybe there was a possible air leak b/c it didnt like to idle when hot, so he pulled off he rubber intake boot and check that for dry cracks but none showed. I asked if he happened to look at the pison to see what it looked like-shiny and smooth, no scoring.

I also had him retune the carb...he said it was runnin really lean, and he said that could have been the reason that it didnt seem as snappy as it should have when the GOL instructor ran it.

I havent cut any wood w/ it yet as I just got back from gettin it but i'll let yall know in a day or two how it runs.

If I wanted to take off the muffler (never done anything w/ it) to look at the exaust side of the piston what bolts do i need to remove other than the ones that hold the flat bracket/plate deal on front?

Last night i was able to cut about a half face cord b4 it got to thundering to much for my comfort...of course once i got back inside and everything put away the t-storm had cleared out.

anyways-its amazing how much keeping the carb tuned up will optimize the performance of the saw:bang: ...guess i gotta learn to do it myself.

thanks for all the replys on the big bore...I think im gonna pass on the BB and just get the OEM when and if i have to replace it all.

Back