Big CSM frames, who's the best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flht01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally got around to picking up a big bar (60") for my 084 and need a few opinions on a new csm.

I've got a 36" MKIII now and could either pick up a set of 60" rails but I'm not sure if the big granberg uses the same hardware in their 54"(+/-) mill. I wouldn't mind just buying another complete mill if the granberg turn out to be the better choice.

The other option would be a 60" (+/-) GB mill, just don't know a lot about them.

Anybody out there ever used or compared both brands in mill this size?

I've been thinking about this myself in the future. I would just get some decent aluminum square tubing for your Alaskan and make a fixed set of rails for the 60" bar. You could probably be going for $20. Drill a hole through the bottom and run a bolt through it on each side.

Mark

just add some brackets

I know two guys who run long bars on Granbergs, one runs a 72" and the other has a 96" bar. both add extra cross brace brackets to the mill. Not the little box tubing ones but the cast ones that also attach to the handle. My friend with the 72" rig has 3 cross braces and the 96" rig had 5. don't know if this is per Grandbergs recomendation or something they both thought up. these brackets are only $15 and 48" rails cost me $60 for the pair, nice guy at the service desk.

I missed this thread... Any progress?

I'm still riding the fence on which one to buy. Like Bluerider said, the big Granberg frames use extra crossbracing so a complete mill is in order if I use them.

I'd really like to have a closer look at the GB mill before deciding. How much customizing did you have to do to your's before it performed like you wanted it too? Also, how did the prices compare?

It will be for occasional use only since I do most of my milling with the Logmaster. (poor ripsaw is covered in cobwebs :D )

Back