Big egos and small minds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mia Culpa ~ I plead Nolo Contendre ...

Mr. Aerial Arborist, i know i've bust on you, but being serious, i'm rather surprised by the line, "I have advanced myself, especially gear wise. Gear does not a great climber make.... but very little about actual skills or techniques. Vertical speed line, one time is the only one i can think of off the top of the head... And that's what i'm trying to get at-four years you've owned a tree business, you've worked for tree companies, and yet you've heard of a vertical speed line for the first time just recently? How is this even possible, the technique has been around, it's not even a hard idea to come up with on your own... i'm just trying to get my mind around why you are the way you are. Toys have a higher priority than actual learning for you is what i've been forced to come up with... Look what you learned from matt, why has it taken you four or more years to get to this point?

I'm doing great with my business and four years without an on the job injury or any damage to the customer's property. My climbing is slow and at times tedious, like today, deadwooding and minor trimming four large Oaks without spikes which was somewhat exhausting for me. I am largely self taught although I give credit and kudos to my first mentor, from whom I learned a lot.

As to toy's I'll confess to being a gadget guy. I'm constantly seeking to give myself mechanical advantage and have tried just about everything. I've settled on A.R.T. products but am still susceptible to new stuff, like the rope wrench, now that it's metal.

Well duh! what a dummy, :bang: master rigger (parachute) and I never thought vertical for a zip line. I guess it's because my zip line training all was geared towards personnel and vertical was not an option.

... not that there is anything wrong with self-taught, i know several excellent self-taught climbers, and i agree with what i've seen you say here before about how easy tree work actually is. The theory is easy, the job can be done by even a mental midget if he can stand up to the physical aspect of it, but getting it done smooth and safe (the parts that you are lacking and need polish on), that is not so easy...

I've found climbing, while physically demanding for me, to be the easy part of tree work. It's knowing what to do when you get there, and making it work with no injures and no damage that is the hard part. It's the challenge I enjoy most, it's mental not physical. I'd have to agree that I could use a bit of buffing up on my technique and methods. But as long as I'm operating safely and damage free I'm meeting my goals.

good thread... or shall I say good attempt as some dive back into a slugfest.

seems lately it's all about who can insult who the most...
slam one's choice of gear or lack of ... personal slams about family are the worst!
Maybe it's the same reason bees and yellow jackets get all "stingy" this time of year. I'm using the ignore list more and more. Pretty soon I'll have AS all to myself. Harmony!
Phil

Back