Big enough for a 3` Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsaw carver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Whats a good saw that has enough power to turn a 3` Bar I need one! and would like some suggestions on a saw, I dont need the most expensive one because I will not use it all that much but I dont beleive my 460 will do.
Thanx to any one that can help!

MS660 (or possibly the new MS650, same motor but smaller bore and less power)

On the Husky side you have the 395XP or possibly the 385XP.

You might try your 460 with a skip chain, it just might do it if you aren't in a hurry.

Well I need to do the job with one cut instead of two I carve and I need a straight line and with 2 cuts they never match up right. Thanx for the info.

Call me an Idiot but what does a skip tooth chain do I am not familiar with it? I know alot of you are loggers and have alot of experience with saws so if you could please inform me if you could!

Just = less teeth in the cut, use a 7 pin sprocket also if your doing cuts with long bars, oiler on max.

The skip tooth chain has half as many cutters so you have less cutting teeth in the wood dragging down the motor. There's less cutting going on but there is less drag on the motor, allowing the saw to maintain a higher RPM in the cut and stay in it's powerband.

A skip tooth chain has half the amont of cutters as full comp chain if you have less teeth in the cut at a time it takes less horsepower to pull. There is also half-skip which skips every other cutter, it has 1/4 less cutters than full comp.

So for a skip tooth do you modify the chain your self or can you purchase one that way and if you do it yourself is there any specific way?

carver, see the following link to see the difference between normal and skip tooth sequence:

http://www.madsens1.com/Oregon2.htm

The skip tooth allows for better cutting in large wood because it has more room for chip clearing, and less cutters in the cut make for less power required to pull the chain through the cut.....

What kind of wood will you be cutting? I have a 30" bar with a oregon 75JG skip chain for my 044, so far I have only had it fully burried in a cottonwood, it did quite well, I was impressed with it, I could not muscle the bar into the wood without it bogging, but letting it cut at it's own rate it self-fed through the log at a very respectable rate....

Depending on the wood you intend to cut I would assume you could get by with a 36" bar and skip chain on your 46 as long as you are not in a super hurry.... a MS660 or 066 would probably be ideal though....

Matthew

Just buy it like that, also might be a nice place to use square chisle chain, it leaves a nice smooth end rather than the rough cut left by a round cutter.

Yes , I will only be using it occasionally I dont come across wood like that all that much! I will use it for white pine mostly, well I guess if it cuts too slow with the skip chain it will not be a costly loss. Thanks for all the help.

3ft bar

My 066 with a 36 inch bar works great I don't use skip chain on it either. I have used a ms 440 with a 36 inch bar once in a pinch with skip chain on it it was slow but it did get the job done. If you do decide to go with the ms 460 with a 3 ft bar then I would say turn up the oiler to max, keep a good sharp chain and mix the gas and oil a tad richer then normal.

Back