Big hole in the trunk.... *sighhh*

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthless

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello from Illinois! -- I've recently moved out of a house in town (got married and moved out to the country, so you'll be hearing more from me in the coming months/years!) that has a couple of mature soft maples in the front yard. I was young, and relatively ignorant, when I got this place, and didn't think much about the condition of the trees on the premises. Some friends of my husband and I have recently moved in to my old place, however, and we're concerned now (albeit, belatedly, I regret) about how much life this tree has left. Remarkably, it still puts out large amounts of foliage and helicopters, and has few dead branches above. I can see that is is starting to struggle though, some bark has been falling off the other side from the hole.

This maple had a small trunk hole when I first moved in, but over the past 10 years or so, it has probably more than doubled in size. The squirrels really dig it, especially the new babies that have appeared in the tree this year... which makes me wonder if there's more caverns up there somewhere.

Way back when, you could probably get a softball or something in the opening, now I'm thinking volleyball/basketball range, and it it goes back more than a foot or so. It's a pretty wide trunk. I wish I had brought my tape measure. The picture shows some wood coming out of the hole, and that actually is loose and removable; quite a chunk.

Is it time to panic? Is there anything that can be done (from what I've seen, I'm thinking probably not) or is it a goner? I sincerely appreciate the opportunity for help in this matter, and will act on your recommendations post haste! :cheers:

Ruthless (Mrs Hopsing)

Ruthless said:
The squirrels really dig it, especially the new babies that have appeared in the tree this year... which makes me wonder if there's more caverns up there somewhere.

wasn't Hopsing the Chinese servant at the Ponderosa?

Your tree has a large defect at a critical location. I like saving trees, but this one I would replace with a nice bushy evergreen to screen that view.

Ma'am, if treeseer says replace it, you'd better replace it. It probably hurt him just typing that - he does NOT like to give up on trees!

Thank you Gentlemen! (Please don't take offense if you're not a gentleman.... ha ha)

Yes, Treeseer, my ol' man got that nickname from that old show, he too used to have that big long braid. =)

And thank you also, Mark, for both the "Ma'am" thing :blush: [...ma'am.... "teehee"...] and for sharing your expertise.... I knew this tree wasn't long for this world, unfortunately, so we've begun plans to have it prepped for removal. Better to do it ourselves instead of waiting to see which way it would fall on it's own, you'll probably agree!

Your help has been much appreciated! And your icons are just the coolest too...
:blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5:
:rock: :rockn:

This one especially made me laugh out loud... :deadhorse:
Gonna have to adopt this one for regular online conversation, as a lot of dead horses are being beaten where I work. (P.O.)

Ruth

I concur with the official unofficial prognosis -

That tree needs to come down under your terms, before it comes down under its own...:greenchainsaw:

Back