big oaks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

germy01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew the best use for some big oaks. I have two big oaks one about 40 inch diameter the other 36 inch diameter that need to come down. My buddy has a saw mill and he will help me mill them. I will probably sell most the lumber and was wondering what the best way to mill them to get the most revenue. I could easily get some 30 plus inch 4/4 boards or quarter saw it or what? Any ideas? Thanks

If it is a clear log I'd quartersaw it. Worth a premium over plainsawn and will make up for the loss in BF over plainsawn.
Finnbear

If it is real top quality stuff leaving whole might be the most valuable form, I sold a few cherry trees a while back (5 years ago) and the logs were sold whole and shipped to Japan (I think) for Veneer, got 125% as much for it whole as I got for a few that were milled. And I did not need to give the mill a cut for milling it. While I have never done it with Oak, I know that Oak Veneer gets a pretty penny as well.

Shop around first and see what the buyer wants, I know when I bought my house there were some great 6X6 oak posts and one great 8 X 6 oak Beam, the previous owner bought them from a local rough saw mill place and paid top dollar because I could not find many 6X6 oak posts and the 8 X 6 beam had to be custom made, so the whole 4x4 idea might not be the best

JUDGE1162 said:
so the whole 4x4 idea might not be the best

4/4 is a whole different animal than a 4 x 4.

I would mill 4/4 or 5/4. Quartersawn is a lot more work, but can bring more money. I think you will be wasting your time going 30" wide unless you cut some 8/4 slabs to help keep it stable while drying. Something that wide might be nice for a one piece bartop or tabletop. Pretty d@mn heavy though.

red or white

Are they red or white oak? When you cut 30" wide they tend to cup. Used to be you have a vat of lime milk to soak them in to remove the acids and relieve stress in the wide boards. Soak them 2-3 weeks, pull them out, rinse and stick them. It worked very well on slippery elm to keep them from twisting up.

Veneer

Back about 15 yrs ago I worked with my cousin cutting oak logs for a fall and a winter. We were cutting them for some company who was sending them overseas to be made into veneer. We were getting as high as $300/log at 8'. Depending on how clear they are and straight/diameter you could get more/less. Especially now. Wood is sky high. I'd check into that maybe. You could get a quick $2k out of them for very little work and they're out of your hair...

ciscoguy01 said:
Back about 15 yrs ago I worked with my cousin cutting oak logs for a fall and a winter. We were cutting them for some company who was sending them overseas to be made into veneer. We were getting as high as $300/log at 8'. Depending on how clear they are and straight/diameter you could get more/less. Especially now. Wood is sky high. I'd check into that maybe. You could get a quick $2k out of them for very little work and they're out of your hair...

sawlog prices are in the dumper in New England, have been for over a year. Have things changed when I wasn't looking?

Yea, last I looked, about a week ago, oak prices just dropped again, at least in the western NY region. If you have some really high quality logs, veneer prices are still bringing in a decent buck, but ultimatly your at the whim of the markets.

I would lean toward quartersawing them myself. If you can find someone before hand that might be interested in it, they might be willing to pay the extra buck for it. We just sawed out about 3000 bd/ft this summer for a guy who does flooring. When you get into that though, they will probably want it sawed out into 5/4. If it's done right, you can get a really good yield out of the log and still get some decent flat sawn boards out of the heart. It'll make up for the extra time your going to take.

Nah

Husky137 said:
sawlog prices are in the dumper in New England, have been for over a year. Have things changed when I wasn't looking?

I really don't know anything about how they are pricing those logs anymore. Like I said, that was like 15 yrs ago. I figured they woulda went up, specially with what they are charging for any nice hardwood in the hardware stores. I'll find out my cousin's old contact and get some more info for ya...

ciscoguy01 said:
I really don't know anything about how they are pricing those logs anymore. Like I said, that was like 15 yrs ago. I figured they woulda went up, specially with what they are charging for any nice hardwood in the hardware stores. I'll find out my cousin's old contact and get some more info for ya...

No need, I was just wondering if logs had done something crazy that I missed. Sawlogs suck right now. Prices at the lumberyard really don't reflect the log market.

????e

Husky137 said:
No need, I was just wondering if logs had done something crazy that I missed. Sawlogs suck right now. Prices at the lumberyard really don't reflect the log market.

That sucks dude and it's sad to hear. Firewood has gone up, gas has gone up, and logs have gone down. That's just sad. They suck is all I have to say...

ciscoguy01 said:
Especially now. Wood is sky high. I'd check into that maybe. You could get a quick $2k out of them for very little work ..

ciscoguy01 said:
I really don't know anything about how they are pricing those logs anymore. .

ciscoguy01 said:
Firewood has gone up, gas has gone up, and logs have gone down. .

:rolleyes:

Lol

trimmmed said:

Yea, I figured the price of logs would have went through the roof dude. Firewood is higher than it's been in years, I just assumed nice logs would have gone up in value also. I was wrong, I was wrong. :bowdown:

Back