Big Red

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The WoodButcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all this is a 30" Red Oak I cut down and now turning into lumber for trailer decking.
DSCF1105.jpg

Beautiful, looks like premium knot free top grade oak in the pic, almost too pretty to be cut up into decking. How thick will you slice it?

I agree that it is too nice for use as trailer decking and the fact that it is red oak it is not suitable for for outdoor uses such as decking etc...

woodshop said:
Beautiful, looks like premium knot free top grade oak in the pic, almost too pretty to be cut up into decking. How thick will you slice it?

I agree with woodshop on this one, really nice looking wood. Much straighter and knot free that the ones I cut up this summer.

Don't mean to assume you didn't know this, but:
I just finished reading a thread on one of the other forums about trailer decking. Most agree that red oak is a little quick to rot if left out in the weather and prefer white oak, post oak, and/or live oak. Also recommended was a good coat of diesel/oil mix as a treatment to help prevent rot. Good luck with your project.

Hi all

Hi everybody, yes I do know this is not very good for trailer decking, But.... it's all I had and the guy wants it and is willing to pay. I'm cutting him lots of slack because of this and the fact that he is my boss at my real job. Don't get me wrong he's still having to pay. I'm cutting it into real 2"X6"X10' and 2"X8"X10' He wants 12 of each. :laugh:

Cutting this for my bos

dustytools said:
Hi Woodbutcher, Are you sawing this for a customer?
Hi dustytools, yes I am cutting this for my boss. Does $1,200 sound ok? or am I taking a beating?? He's getting 12 2"x8" and 12 2"X6" all 8' long Red Oak. :cheers:

Sounds to me like you got it going on. Wont take long to pay for that mill that way. Keep it up with the pics, seems like you always have nice ones.

Shorth changing myself

Hi dustytools, I think I am letting it go way to cheap. At .50 cents a BF it comes out to be $1.800 but I'm letting him have it for $1.200. I've seen others selling it for $1.75 BF But the log was free so I aint complaining. :D

The WoodButcher said:
Hi dustytools, I think I am letting it go way to cheap. At .50 cents a BF it comes out to be $1.800 but I'm letting him have it for $1.200. I've seen others selling it for $1.75 BF But the log was free so I aint complaining. :D
Woodbutcher... didn't you say in your previous post you are giving him 12 true 2x8's and 12 2x6's, all 10 ft long? Quick and dirty math I get roughly 280 bd ft of oak there. If you're getting $1200 for all of them, that's over $4 a bd ft, not 50 cents. OR, it could be that it's late, I'm tired and ready to hit the sack, and I'm missing something here. :laugh:

Back