big trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeahman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi,

i'm looking to get into climbing some big trees (well big for here). looking to top out at around 150 foot.

i climb regularly for work and pleasure, but i'm keen to tackle some giants out on the mountains!

i'll be using a bigshot to get my rope set as high as i can and then advancing my rope whilst in the tree using a throw line.

i regularly use a double rope with blakes hitch, either footlocking, body thrusting or trunk walking. some of these trees are too big to get a lanyard around.

i'm curious about single rope technique using ascenders.

any ideas on how others climb big trees would be excellent!

Thanks!

SRT is the way to go for the tall ones. The most basic redundant system is 2 handled ascenders, each attached with separate cord, webbing or sling to the harness. The lower ascender has footloops attached. You stand in the footloops, push up the upper ascender, sit back, bend your knees, push up the lower ascender and repeat. This is a sit-stand system also called jugging. New Tribe and Sherrill sell preconfigured sit-stand systems.

Many arborist climbers use a single ascender up top, then a Croll or chest attached ascender and a Pantin on one foot. This allows the climber to stay in an upright position during the climb and is definitely better if you tend to have more body weight above the waist. Systems like this are called rope walkers. There are many variations.

Then there are all the rest of the hybrid systems using various hardware. And the most cost effective but slower to climb - two prusiks, one above the other attached to the harness.

The key safety issue besides the integrity of your SRT system and the quality of your rope setting is the switchover. Before you go up you MUST know how to go down. That is - switchover to rappel. Must be practiced down low before going up. Too many new SRT climbers go up and decide to figure it out at height. Very dumb and dangerous.

My description is an overview to general technique and NOT instruction. If you can't find a qualified climber to show you the ropes start getting books like "On Rope" etc. and read everything you can there and online and practice practice switchovers low and slow.
-moss

Last edited:
Thanks Moss

Thanks mate i appreciate your time and knowledge!

Yeah that On Rope book is the go, i havent got it yet but a friend has also suggested it to me.

I have 2 ascenders, just need to figure out the attachment system and configure to my style.

When using ascenders and other mecahnical devices i have been told to always back it up with a blakes or prussik. what do you think about that?

I will get some books and research it more throughly before going up the big girls!

when i started i used the DRT with the double prussiks, one foot loop the other attatched to the harness, hard going but do able.

Ok thanks again!

When using ascenders and other mecahnical devices i have been told to always back it up with a blakes or prussik. what do you think about that?

I've been "questioned" on the board for the way I configure my SRT rig so everything with a grain of salt and use your best judgement after you test your system low. Disclaimers aside... The rule is, two separate life support connections to the rope, attached to your harness at your waist or above. So if you use two separate single-handled ascenders, each attached separately to your harness then you've created sufficienty redundancy (IMO). That is the system I use.

Some climbers use a two-handled single ascender or a single one-handled ascender up top and a Pantin on their foot. Since there is only one life support attachment above the waist, there needs to be additional backup in the form of a prusik or other hitch or mechanical, rated, rope stop (Croll etc.) attached at the waist or above.

Another consideration is don't use your upper ascender as a battering ram as you move through areas thick with branches (big and small). Debris can get jammed into the ascender and prevent it from grabbing the rope. Or a branch could accidentally thumb the cam open. None of this is terminal since you are backed up with a second ascender or rope stop. Protect your ascenders as you climb.

Keep your thumb off the cam release as you're grabbing or pushing up the ascender. I've done that a few times, it's always an unwelcome surprise when you push your top ascender up and it doesn't grab the rope. Duh! Thumb off the cam release! In the same vein you can put a biner through the top hole of the upper ascender so there is no way the rope can come out of the ascender.

Enough blabbing, anyone else? I can't believe my post hasn't been criticized yet :)

Being that you're an experienced DRT climber you'll take to it like a duck to water.
-moss

Enough blabbing, anyone else? I can't believe my post hasn't been criticized yet :)

-moss

Who would criticize???? :bowdown: :laugh:

It seems to me that SRT ascent systems can be set up in infinate ways. Use the rule of two seperate points of attachment (or is it three?;) ) and experiment untill you find out what works for you.
It's easy enough to back up the top ascender with a friction hitch, I like to use a distel because the legs terminate on opposite sides. This configureation will help make your top ascender less prone to jamming from debris. (more battering-ram like!)

Back