Biggest Stump I Have Seen, In Person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something I would want with my litle grinder,but I have a friend with a big track mounted diesel .He could grind it in 45 minutes to an hour after it was cut a bit lower.
He would probably charge 200-250 for cut and run.

Don't think I would go thru the trouble of final cut and everything for 100$

I would bid 450-600 with wood chunks and mulch all staying if I was real slow.
If I was busy,I would bid closer to 600 or more unless it was a regular client.

attachment.php

Some guys don't have any other income than the stumps. :agree2:

I imagine you are right. You know, I have never seen a guy make it just doing stumps but I have known several to try. They usually make it three to four years and get out of it flat broke with a real worn out machine or two. I have heard stories of guys that just did stumps making a long term business out of it but nobody I know.

You are gonna grind a 7 foot high 7 foot dia. stump with no cutting? You are living in a dream world. $350? I got some land I want to sell you haha.

Yes, Scott could, and would. $350 for 2 hours work in this economy? hell yea!

Plus, if you grind it all, (heck, its half rotten) you don't have to deal with the butt of the stump.:confused: that's the whole purpose of the job.
I sure wouldn't want to have to haul that off, but a bigger pile of mulch, no sweat, you can leave that.

Plus, if you grind it all, (heck, its half rotten) you don't have to deal with the butt of the stump.:confused: that's the whole purpose of the job.
I sure wouldn't want to have to haul that off, but a bigger pile of mulch, no sweat, you can leave that.

I'm glad someone else thinks like I do.

I got a 65 hp Vermeer with remote. Don't think diesel makes that big of a dif if teeth are sharp on both units and don't buy into (mentally and financially) the track units. Seems like they gonna be more stable if attached to a big one ton truck. I would absolutely despise unloading and loading at each job.

It only takes me a couple of minutes to have my grinder off the trailer and rolling into the yard.

Personally, I'd despise having to have my grinder stuck to the back of my truck.

I miss my old 630 when on bigger stumps in the front yard,but all in all I like my lil 252,,,,,,most of the time.
If I get something too big for comfort,I just sub it out.

I imagine you are right. You know, I have never seen a guy make it just doing stumps but I have known several to try. They usually make it three to four years and get out of it flat broke with a real worn out machine or two. I have heard stories of guys that just did stumps making a long term business out of it but nobody I know.

My friend does. He just grinds stumps. He takes down a tree here and there also but not very often. He bought the business already going. He carries insurance including work comp. He stays very busy around here. His prices are $2.50 an inch $60 min.

Scott

I don't see that job taking 2 hours to take the fence off, grind 7 foot by 7 foot of stump with a secret 7 foot reach stump grinder, load (with a loader I hope) and clean up a flat bed dump of grindings. Then you gotta take the grindings somewhere and lose them.

Maybe the economy is much worse for you guys than it is for me. Bills don't reduce in this economy you mention.

If you 2 guys gonna do this giant stump job in 2 hours I'd pay a pay per view to see that. :chatter:

I got a 65 hp Vermeer with remote. Don't think diesel makes that big of a dif if teeth are sharp on both units and don't buy into (mentally and financially) the track units. Seems like they gonna be more stable if attached to a big one ton truck. I would absolutely despise unloading and loading at each job.

7 foot ground out or even 2 foot you are gonna have mass material in the way and to deal with later. I would cut it about 3 inches above ground, again boom the piece out, and take the grindings, leaving about 3 inches below grade and the rest of the yard perfect and blown out. I'd come back in fall with topsoil and seed/straw to get another paycheck.

I have tracked grinders, wheeled self propelled and tow behinds. The tow behinds never get used anymore. Once you have self propelled the unloading time means nothing compared to the pain in the ase of a tow behind and trying to get it to the stump especially multi stumps.

I don't think you would want to cut that stump down to 3 inches since it looks like the fence grew threw it.

Ripping works. Nibbling away at chunks will get the job done and leave you with pieces small enough to handle without equipment. We probably had three hours into this enterprise, between cutting, sharpening, prying, and blocking up the remains to sizes that could be carried by one person (we were leaving it for the Craigslist crowd to pick up for firewood). Tools of the day were Stihl 066/36", Dolmar 7900/20" and Makita 6401/20".

RCA_3.jpg

RCA_10.jpg

RCA_4.jpg

RCA_11.jpg

RCA_7.jpg

RCA_6.jpg

RCA_5.jpg

I have tracked grinders, wheeled self propelled and tow behinds. The tow behinds never get used anymore. Once you have self propelled the unloading time means nothing compared to the pain in the ase of a tow behind and trying to get it to the stump especially multi stumps.

I don't think you would want to cut that stump down to 3 inches since it looks like the fence grew threw it.

I am sure your grinder is better than the one I have. I don't do any stumps I don't remove the tree so I don't do that many relatively speaking. My grinder is a dinosaur but has a brand new rebuild.

But how you gonna do this stump without cutting? Is the plan to grind from all sides until a 7 foot diameter slabs falls off, maybe on your machine? You still have to deal with the piece and mass grindings.

Ripping works. Nibbling away at chunks will get the job done and leave you with pieces small enough to handle without equipment. We probably had three hours into this enterprise, between cutting, sharpening, prying, and blocking up the remains to sizes that could be carried by one person (we were leaving it for the Craigslist crowd to pick up for firewood). Tools of the day were Stihl 066/36", Dolmar 7900/20" and Makita 6401/20".

RCA_3.jpg

RCA_10.jpg

RCA_4.jpg

RCA_11.jpg

RCA_7.jpg

RCA_6.jpg

RCA_5.jpg

Really nice pictures Computeruser. But let's not forget that if we have 3 hours into the job and you got 2 guys, you've got 6 hours into the job.

a stump cutter wheel is meant to cut at 7'oclock on the cutter wheel. If you cut at 11' oclock without cutting it low like computeruser demonstrates for a stump that big you are going to rapidly wear, belts, break teeth, bearings, welds etc. i.e belt is $700. ask carlton if they advise abusing the machine like that. these things are costly to maintain. wait till gr8scott sees his next repair bill, that $350 job will end up putting scott's margin very minimal if not in the negatives. newbie's to this game will learn, go broke, or be out of business. get a big saw scott, you could make your lil business a bit easier for you if you did a flush cut first.

a stump cutter wheel is meant to cut at 7'oclock on the cutter wheel. If you cut at 11' oclock without cutting it low like computeruser demonstrates for a stump that big you are going to rapidly wear, belts, break teeth, bearings, welds etc. i.e belt is $700. ask carlton if they advise abusing the machine like that. these things are costly to maintain. wait till gr8scott sees his next repair bill, that $350 job will end up putting scott's margin very minimal if not in the negatives. newbie's to this game will learn, go broke, or be out of business. get a big saw scott, you could make your lil business a bit easier for you if you did a flush cut first.

I agree John.... Do the math. $350 isn't so great....
I'd say $1000 no cleanup. or $1500 with cleanup..... Mike

I agree John.... Do the math. $350 isn't so great....
I'd say $1000 no cleanup. or $1500 with cleanup..... Mike

yup $350 is pretty shameful actually and disgusts me to see these new guys going out and buying a machine only to devalue what this work is worth. and on top of that attempting to grind a 7ft tall stump with a cutter wheel that raises 3feet off the ground is beyond idiotic. just because the economy is bad doesn't mean you should take on the expense/risk of running a business to only bring home wages of that of the dollar store clerk, but hey some people are happy busting their ass to live in a shack.

Latest posts

Back